FireFox difference from Windows

Nov 26, 2005
I have the same exact settings with FireFox between both my Windows and Yosemite, machines. I set FF to re-open with the same tabs as when it's closed on my Windows machine. Every time I close then re-open FF on my Mac all the tabs are gone. Both machines, same settings. Why is this?

Nov 26, 2005
If I go to the doc and select 'Quit' my previous tabs will re-open when I open up FireFox. If I exit out FireFox by the 'X' in the upper left hand corner the taps will not be there when I re-open Firefox. Why is this??

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
If I go to the doc and select 'Quit' my previous tabs will re-open when I open up FireFox. If I exit out FireFox by the 'X' in the upper left hand corner the taps will not be there when I re-open Firefox. Why is this??

Because closing the window (CMD+W) just closes the window, it doesn't kill the program like Quitting does (CMD+Q).

You should notice that if you close all the tabs and then the window that there's still an indicator under Firefox's icon in the Dock.

Nov 26, 2005
Because closing the window (CMD+W) just closes the window, it doesn't kill the program like Quitting does (CMD+Q).

You should notice that if you close all the tabs and then the window that there's still an indicator under Firefox's icon in the Dock.

Is there a way to make selecting the 'X' in the upper left corner kill the program?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Is there a way to make selecting the 'X' in the upper left corner kill the program?

Not a system wide change of which I am aware. Individual programs might have that setting, but honestly, hitting CMD+Q isn't so bad. There are times where I want either behavior.

It's an odd shift coming from Windows where there's only 1 kind of behavior, but think of it like Excel back in the day, where every spreadsheet you opened existed within it's own sub version of Excel.

Nov 26, 2005
Not a system wide change of which I am aware. Individual programs might have that setting, but honestly, hitting CMD+Q isn't so bad. There are times where I want either behavior.

It's an odd shift coming from Windows where there's only 1 kind of behavior, but think of it like Excel back in the day, where every spreadsheet you opened existed within it's own sub version of Excel.

Ok, thanks for all your help so far, :)

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Assuming you're running Yosemite or Mavericks (which you should be -- BTW I have the same model of MBP that you do, it has lasted me 3+ years of solid service -- upgrading the RAM to 16GB makes it pretty awesome, but I still haven't moved to an SSD yet) you don't really have to shut down apps. The OS takes care of memory management pretty well -- it compresses RAM, it keeps closed programs in memory if it's able to, and it will shut down unused programs if it needs to clear up some memory ( see http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/17/ and http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/8/ -- John Siracusa's reviews of OSX are pretty much required reading for serious OSX users, there are really a ton of interesting features behind the scenes). And especially if you have tons of RAM like I do, then there's hardly a need to shut down commonly used things.

I pretty much leave Excel, Firefox, Safari, Word, Calendar, Console, iTunes, and Preview open all the time. Rebooting pretty much only happens when there's an OS update requiring a restart. When I reboot, these all come back up with the same stuff open as when I rebooted it. I take my laptop with me all the time, and all I have to do is shut the lid.... I can't think of the last time I actually "Shut Down" my MBP and left it off. The Mac world is a lot simpler than the Windows world. Stuff that *should* work in Windows but often doesn't (at least enough to make you nervous), *usually* works on a Mac.

But yeah, there's really no need to quit apps. For apps that I don't use often, I will go ahead and quit them to get them out of the Dock, but for everything I use regularly.... nah. (But Firefox does have memory leaks and other problems -- I have AdBlock and several other plugins installed that might be the actual cause, and I regularly have several hundred tabs open at once so who knows -- in any case, I do find that it starts to slow down over time, so I tend to Cmd-Q Quit and then restart FF once or twice a week.)

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/

They're super long and they kinda build on each other. The Yosemite one spends a long time talking about Swift, the new programming language Apple introduced with Yosemite, and what it means long-term for the ecosystem (TLDR: It's pretty good news, in that it's a high-level language that includes many shortcuts like a loose typing system, but it gets compiled (not real-time-interpreted like Java) into efficient low level code like, say, C.