FireFox addon does not work (quit working)

Discussion in '*nix Software' started by yugpatel, Jan 8, 2013.

1. yugpatel

yugpatel Senior member

The other day I down loaded a torrent movie. While I played that file, it mentioned to download tool bar for NicePlayer from start.tootid.info to play the whole movie. I installed the toolbar but it did not play the movie and hence, I removed it using addon manager "remove". Since then, "NoScript" as well as "AdBlock plus" do not work at all.
    I un installed firefox and reinstalled but no go. What am I doing wrong?

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 and FireFox 16.0.2.

NB:- Why can I not attach attachments with this post? ("You may not post attachments")

2. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

First thing... You can't rely on software to protect you from the web. Disregarding ethical concerns, if a movie, software or whatever wants you to install something to use it, you always decline. There's no legitimate reason for that to happen, and it should be a huge red flag that you don't have what you think you have.

For Firefox, try doing a complete removal in Synaptic, then check in /home/.mozilla and make sure there's nothing related to Firefox in there. If there is, delete it. Then reinstall Firefox through Synaptic.

3. yugpatel

yugpatel Senior member

I am fully aware of it and I was very cautious. I googled NicePlayer and did not find any negative report hence I installed.

That did the trick. I un installed through Synaptic, removed .mozilla directory and reinstalled throught Synaptic. Thanks for the help.