Firefox acting really strange latetly

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Running Mint 18.1, noticed in past few days Firefox is very choppy especially when it's first opened. Need to let it sit for about 10-15 minutes to warm up. but even during normal usage it gets random choppy moments. Very noticeable if typing anything as the typing just stops.

Just now, it actually shut off on it's own. Poof, gone. Only have basic extensions. Adblock and privacy badger. Anything I can do to fix this? Maybe some kind of cache that needs to be cleared or something?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Are you sure it's a Firefox problem, and not a hardware problem? It sounds like your PC is overheating, possibly due to a dead or dying fan.

Otherwise, close Firefox rename or move your profile directory (~/.mozilla) temporarily and restart Firefox. You'll get a fresh new profile, and if it works fine then there is a problem with your current profile.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmmm I'm probably due to clean the filters. But temps seem fine.

Code:
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp2:        +29.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Physical id 0:  +32.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:         +29.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:         +30.0°C  (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Video is built on so not sure if there's a way to check that (or it might be temp 1 or temp 2)

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I don't usually use Firefox, but tested tonight on my HTPC with LM 18.1 Cinnamon and FF 52.02 (64-bit), and it is laggy. I did install a newer kernel the other day, so it's possible the graphics driver needs updating, but I am seeing some lag I don't get with Vivaldi. You may want to try booting an older kernel and see if that helps.

Boris Morozov

Jun 11, 2007
I stopped using Firefox as it is too sluggish and eats too much CPU. Chromium performs much better.

I'm using mint 18.1 as well.

Reactions: Ken g6

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah starting to ponder going to Chromium... what does it have in terms of privacy extensions like Adblocker and Privacy Badger etc? And chromium is in no way tied with Google right?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Yeah starting to ponder going to Chromium... what does it have in terms of privacy extensions like Adblocker and Privacy Badger etc? And chromium is in no way tied with Google right?

Chromium is Google's open source project, and Chrome is built from that with proprietary code included. I don't distrust Chromium near as much as Chrome, but I also prefer Vivaldi despite it being closed source. Vivaldi's built on Chromium, but has some extra options allowing you to turn off some (all?) of the Google data sharing (see pic) and WebRTC Broadcast IP. Chrome extensions also work just fine, including Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin. Vivaldi is what Opera should be.

LJejECDo6k6bb_UshEpW_w.png

Reactions: Boris Morozov

Boris Morozov

Jun 11, 2007
Chromium is Google's open source project, and Chrome is built from that with proprietary code included. I don't distrust Chromium near as much as Chrome, but I also prefer Vivaldi despite it being closed source. Vivaldi's built on Chromium, but has some extra options allowing you to turn off some (all?) of the Google data sharing (see pic) and WebRTC Broadcast IP. Chrome extensions also work just fine, including Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin. Vivaldi is what Opera should be.

LJejECDo6k6bb_UshEpW_w.png

I'm trying out Vivaldi right now. I really like it!

Reactions: AnonymouseUser