• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Info Firefox 82 Released

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, after installing it (very quick, on my PC), it popped up a page for "Mozilla VPN". That actually sounds interesting. Albeit, it looks like a paid option. (Maybe they're not operating the service themselves, but sub-contracting it out to one of the existing VPN companies? Does anyone know?)

Steltek

Platinum Member
Mar 29, 2001
Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Better late than never -

Firefox 'Site Isolation' feature enters user testing, expected next year

I'm guessing the multi-account containers add-on will still be useful since there is little chance google would develop security that would render their cookies useless.

When this feature comes out a website on my PC will be isolated with this new feature, sandboxed through firefox, stuck in multi-account container and sandboxed with Sandboxie. I believe in layering your security but this seems a bit overkill or over complicated. As long as it works and I still have enough RAM to do what I want I welcome the security and privacy upgrades.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
That sounds good to me. Good poing about multi account containers and google.

Do you ever browse in VMs? I think that is a good way to keep things siloed for banking etc.

Different browsers for different social media, etc. is probably a good strategy also. You can install the Firefox Dev edition along side normal Firefox and run both simultaneously.

I'm guessing the multi-account containers add-on will still be useful since there is little chance google would develop security that would render their cookies useless.

When this feature comes out a website on my PC will be isolated with this new feature, sandboxed through firefox, stuck in multi-account container and sandboxed with Sandboxie. I believe in layering your security but this seems a bit overkill or over complicated. As long as it works and I still have enough RAM to do what I want I welcome the security and privacy upgrades.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
That sounds good to me. Good poing about multi account containers and google.

Do you ever browse in VMs? I think that is a good way to keep things siloed for banking etc.

Different browsers for different social media, etc. is probably a good strategy also. You can install the Firefox Dev edition along side normal Firefox and run both simultaneously.
I only played a around a little bit with full VMs in the past. I still use a light VM (Shadow Defender) for when I'm knowingly surfing sketchy sites. It only virtualizes your currect OS drive and other drives you choose. You can turn it on any time and off with a reboot or off by shutting down.

I used to use a clean Sandboxied browser session to shop, bank, etc. but it got to be a pain. I've come to rely on multi-account containers to take up the slack.

I do think using different browsers is an excellent idea. Even better since it could run within a separate Sandboxie sandbox to keep it isolated.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I find that it is very handy to keep several browsers installed on my main PC to keep sites isolated from each other especially banking or social media. I know that a VM is a bit more hassle but would be very good too, since you can always suspend or put them to sleep when not in use. Shadow defender sounds intriguing!

I think you can probably have all of these installed side by side: normal Firefox, Firefox DEV edition, Firefox Nightly, FF Portable, plus other 3rd party browsers. With Sandboxie that is even a better proposal.

Application Guard works with Edge, and also would be a good solution if you use that one.

Reactions: balloonshark

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
I still cannot get FF to play 4K videos on YT. Chrome works fine, but FF does not. I've enabled the webm (vp() codec in the browser but it still won't do it. This is all on Linux Mint, by the way.

RLGL

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2013
I still cannot get FF to play 4K videos on YT. Chrome works fine, but FF does not. I've enabled the webm (vp() codec in the browser but it still won't do it. This is all on Linux Mint, by the way.
Yeah, I got tired of FF not functioning on several websites. Tried Edge, at least the sites that were not functioning work. I found an ext. to put the favs in the side. I am happy ... for the minute.

BarkingGhostar

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2009
Strangely enough I loaded up LM20 Groovy Gorilla on another box that only differed in processor (i5 vs. i7) and used IGP instead of dedicated video card. FF worked perfectly and offered high resolutions to videos on YT. I'm guessing there must be something wrong with the 18.4 of LM I am using on my main PC. Time for an upgrade.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chiefcrowe Windows 0
Chiefcrowe Windows 2
Chiefcrowe Windows 0
Chiefcrowe Windows 4
Chiefcrowe Windows 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY