News Firefox 65 Released

Thrashard

Oct 6, 2016
This new Firefox is crap. I saw some news about FF new feature of muting all video regardless what page you view. I thought oh cool, but tons of issues. Certain pages get script errors and sometimes when I close FF it wants to force close.

Not sure what happened, but did a fresh install off webpage and now I dont have that new Security Shield option next to Address Bar.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I'm on the latest version and it isn't muting all videos for me, I'm not sure if you have to enable that feature manually?

This new Firefox is crap. I saw some news about FF new feature of muting all video regardless what page you view. I thought oh cool, but tons of issues. Certain pages get script errors and sometimes when I close FF it wants to force close.

Not sure what happened, but did a fresh install off webpage and now I dont have that new Security Shield option next to Address Bar.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Lot's of changes in this version. A wise or cautious person would wait for the next update.
Improved performance and better user experience for extensions:

I'm still using an older version but this particular change is going to cause headaches for Sandbox users. With Sandboxie we create rules for our add-ons like adblock so definitions can be updated. These rules will need to be changed since the JSON files no longer exist. In my case I will need to change rules for ublock origin and noscript.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Is there a reason my Firefox stalls for 30-50 seconds before loading webpages on first start? Doesn't seem to be waiting for a response to the upgrade prompt. Been doing it for a few weeks I guess.

I'm on 64.0.2, and Windows 7.

Think I can check email while I wait so it's not like there's no internet.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Lot's of changes in this version. A wise or cautious person would wait for the next update.

I'm still using an older version but this particular change is going to cause headaches for Sandbox users. With Sandboxie we create rules for our add-ons like adblock so definitions can be updated. These rules will need to be changed since the JSON files no longer exist. In my case I will need to change rules for ublock origin and noscript.
It is working very nicely for me so far.

I use Adblocker Ultimate and ScriptSafe.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I can't recall the last time I saw something like that happen.
So the program is open but it is stalling when trying to open something right?
I would try to run it in safe mode without addons to see if that helps, or you may have to create a new firefox profile if that fails...

You can also test it in a new windows user account to see if it is something going on with your computer...

Is there a reason my Firefox stalls for 30-50 seconds before loading webpages on first start? Doesn't seem to be waiting for a response to the upgrade prompt. Been doing it for a few weeks I guess.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I can't recall the last time I saw something like that happen.
So the program is open but it is stalling when trying to open something right?
I would try to run it in safe mode without addons to see if that helps, or you may have to create a new firefox profile if that fails...

You can also test it in a new windows user account to see if it is something going on with your computer...
When I start the pc, one of the first programs I open is Firefox. Once tabs are open and assigned websites to display, nothing loads for 30-50 seconds, not even a page title. No matter what site the tab is connecting to, nothing. After the aforementioned delay, all tabs proceed to connect and download their assigned websites. It's like they've been collectively given the green light to access the internet.

At first I blamed my modem/router for going into standby mode (sounded plausible), buuuuut .... my Thunderbird email client can connect and receive email, while Firefox hems and haws, so it's not a network connection deal.

Then I wondered if Firefox wanted me to acknowledge its upgrade prompt before proceeding ... but that's not it.

I know this isn't a browser troubleshooting thread ... so ... sorry.

Thanks for the input!

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Well did you have a chance to try the troubleshooting steps I suggested above?

Also it could be you have some kind of proxy server setting on the browser?

I assume other browsers are working ok for you?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
When my firefox starts it opens 5 tabs. This used to take about 30 to 60 seconds. Since I kept the same firefox profile for years to keep all my settings I didn't want to do a reset but I kept hearing how firefox was fast for others. I finally broke down and did the reset a little while back and it was a night and day difference. Luckily the reset didn't change all the much which I thought was strange. Here's more info on reset. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Do you have a proxy server on your LAN? (Even an adware/malware one?) How fast is your PC? Could it be, the browser plug-in activating your Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware "shield"? Do you have IPv6 enabled, or disabled, on the PC?