Firefox 57

Will you use Firefox 57 ?

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Firefox 57 will get rid of all addons that use XUL so that means most of them unless they are ported to Web Extensions. Like No Script will be.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL people actually use Firefox as a primary browser? I don't understand why anyone would use that slow piece of redacted.

No profanity or trolling
in the tech forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Will its sandboxing implementation, security in general and/or performance be significantly improved? If not, probably not.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02/16/the-road-to-firefox-57-compatibility-milestones/

Firefox 54-56
  • Legacy add-ons that work with Multiprocess Firefox in 53 may still run into compatibility issues due to followup work:
    • Multiple content processes is being launched in Firefox 55. This enables multiple content processes, instead of the single content process currently used.
    • Sandboxing will be launched in Firefox 54. Additional security restrictions will prevent certain forms of file access from content processes.
  • Multiprocess compatibility shims are removed from Firefox, starting with the Nightly and Developer Edition channels.

Looks interesting. While the current multi-process implementation has yielded no performance benefit that I have been able to quantify, perhaps when they reach this next milestone then there will be some improvements.

The performance issues relating to firing up a load of tabs at once had been bothering me for some time, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when pwn2own told Firefox to take a hike until they had done their security homework, so while a noticeable performance improvement would be very welcome, I don't know whether I'd wait until the next pwn2own to see how it fares, because security can't be as easily quantified as performance can. While Firefox was allowed back in to the most recent pwn2own (presumably because of the infantile-stage multi-process implementation), I can't see how shoving all content tabs/windows into only one extra process actually makes much difference to the overall security; surely it leaves all tab content up for grabs to the attacker for starters.

In terms of features and the UI (at least when I could customise it to the point of the Firefox 3x era), I prefer Firefox to Chrome, but as Firefox's original purpose in the market proved, what's needed is a streamlined browser for maximum performance and security. Mozilla seemed to forget that at least ten years ago, which is when their multi-process implementation should have begun.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
For a second there, I thought they made 56 sequels to that Clint Eastwood movie about that Russian stealth fighter....

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
LOL people actually use <<Insert whatever browser is being discussed>> as a primary browser? I don't understand why anyone would use that slow piece of shit.

No matter what the software is, this post will always be one of the firsts.. FIFY

Reactions: Linflas

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've used Firefox since before it was Firefox, and I imagine I'll continue to do so. I'm not completely happy with the direction they've taken the last few years, but I'm happy enough.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No matter what the software is, this post will always be one of the firsts.. FIFY
The performance between FF and Chrome is night and day. I develop on both of them and it's just crazy how behind FireFox is as far as performance goes. I remember when it was the go-to browser but now it seems like they're just trying to be Chrome as far as look and feel goes, but not performance because it's lagging behind a lot.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I like that they're finally adding sandboxing. That should be a standard thing. There's too much client side scripting that is doable now days and it's an easy avenue for your machine to get compromised. All you need to do is simply load a bad web page, and you're compromised. Sandboxing will (hopefully) stop that.

I hate how slow and sluggish firefox can be and how bloated it is, but every time I try to switch to another I end up going back, either due to lack of features, or other issues. There really is not any viable alternative. There's chrome and it's derriviatives, but I don't really want to trust something made by Google as my daily driver browser. And let's not even talk about IE LOL. I think in Linux there's a few more options like Konkeror but not sure how well supported they are as far as being able to display all sites properly.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm happy to use FF above IE and Chrome. Yea...they have had some questionable direction...but no more so than..well..everyone else. I hate Chrome more than IE.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I might try it on my Windows 10 Laptop, but FF57 will not be able to install on my XP PRO SP3 computer. Time will tell how many addons will not work or do not get updated by the developers to work in FF57 ... I could probably drop about 3 of them (such as Print Edit, Add On Compatability Reporter, Check Compatabity)

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Firefox 53.0.2 with more than one Firefox process! I get one process for every tab now! You have to set it up in about:config for this to happen at least to get one process for every tab.

EAC78Vs.jpg

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I don't have that, and I have Win 7 w/ Firefox 53.0.2. I have one process for Firefox (5 tabs open), but it's huge...752,844k

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I don't have that, and I have Win 7 w/ Firefox 53.0.2. I have one process for Firefox (5 tabs open), but it's huge...752,844k

What addons do you have installed?

If you don't want to say then are any of them old XUL addons that don't have multiprocess/e10 support?

Check to see if multiprocess is enabled. Type about:support in Firefox address bar. It should say this: Multiprocess Windows 1/1 (Enabled by default)

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
I might try it on my Windows 10 Laptop, but FF57 will not be able to install on my XP PRO SP3 computer. Time will tell how many addons will not work or do not get updated by the developers to work in FF57 ... I could probably drop about 3 of them (such as Print Edit, Add On Compatability Reporter, Check Compatabity)

if you are using windows xp firefox will be firefox 52 with esr updates until september 2017. i use windows xp and windows 10 on my main pc and yes i would use Firefox 57 with Windows 10.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
hopefully mozilla will continue windows xp firefox 52 esr past september because i know loads of people still using windows xp with firefox. they just can't afford to get a more modern computer.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
they just can't afford to get a more modern computer.
Boo hoo. They'll just have to use their cell phones to browse, or buy a few less lattes at Starbucks, I guess.

Edit: Or install Linux, which is what they should do, if they have an older PC running XP currently.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I could easily afford a new I-7 computer. The problem is some old programs will not install on windows 10 and I can not justify the cost of buying new software when the old version does what I need just fine. For example: MS Office XP .. for home use of Excel and Word it is just fine. I would need the newer version to use Outlook with my Email if I wanted to do that. I do have Office 2007 & 2016 with legit keys if needed. As to use of a cell phone, I do t have a real need for a smart phone yet or the expensive data plans that it needs.