Firefox 55 Released

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, most of my addons/extensions are now labeled "LEGACY".

It is gonna suck big time when 57 rolls around, and if these addons haven't been updated.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Hmm, most of my addons/extensions are now labeled "LEGACY".

It is gonna suck big time when 57 rolls around, and if these addons haven't been updated.

I switched my Firefox addons/extensions a long time ago from "LEGACY" to more up to date versions.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I switched my Firefox addons/extensions a long time ago from "LEGACY" to more up to date versions.
Switch how?
When you hit the update button, I assumed it should find the latest version, and use those...

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yes, I'm wondering about that too.

pcslookout - which addons did you upgrade from legacy versions? I think all of mine are legacy and I'm hoping they are all transitioned soon!

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Some of the old Legacy addons will get updated, but quite a few will not. Either because the developer does not want to or the new features in web extensions will not allow what the coder wants to accomplish.
A lot of good info is here: http://arewewebextensionsyet.com/
Look down the page to: Most Widely Adopted to see what has been ported

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
That usually does show the newest version of an addon. But only if your version of Firefox can use the newest one.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
After using it for a while, it definitely feels faster to me. I think the scrolling improvements helped a lot too, including scrolling back and forth on the tabs in the top.

Also, I think if you have a lot of RAM and change the content process number to 7 that also helps speed it up even more.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hmm, I clicked "update" in about Firefox, and it says I am up to date. 54.0.1

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, I clicked "update" in about Firefox, and it says I am up to date. 54.0.1

I get that on multiple machines started within the last few updates. Doesn't seem to actually check to see if an update is available. Been doing it manually but this is clearly a bug they should be able to fix.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I just updated from FF55 to55.01, found annoying bug on mine, can't close browser via the X in top right corner , I have to use task manager to end Firefox.

Another reason why I stay on Vivaldi, it just works without annoying little issues like these.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Try Firefox in Safe Mode ... if it work okay there, then it is one of your extensions causing trouble. Or you can try and check for updates to your extensions and then see how it works after they update. If you use Tab Mix Plus, it had been known to cause this issue in earlier versions of Firefox.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Try Firefox in Safe Mode ... if it work okay there, then it is one of your extensions causing trouble. Or you can try and check for updates to your extensions and then see how it works after they update. If you use Tab Mix Plus, it had been known to cause this issue in earlier versions of Firefox.

I checked my extensions and found the cause was TabMix Plus, no updates for it so will have to wait for a fix unless I have it disabled. Not too bothered since using Vivaldi as my main browser, thanks for the reply however :) .