Firefox 24.0 is Up for download

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
biggest change with v24 for me is the new vsync support, ie scrolling with lightboost 120Hz = eyegasm, although Pale Moon beat official FF to v24, so I've been in scrolling heaven for a few days now

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
biggest change with v24 for me is the new vsync support, ie scrolling with lightboost 120Hz = eyegasm, although Pale Moon beat official FF to v24, so I've been in scrolling heaven for a few days now

this is the first time in history that Pale Moon beats Firefox in terms of speed of final release

Pale Moon craps all over Firefox when it comes to speed and its lovely retro interface

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
this is the first time in history that Pale Moon beats Firefox in terms of speed of final release

Pale Moon craps all over Firefox when it comes to speed and its lovely retro interface

yeah I was pretty surprised when I saw an update available for Pale Moon and it made me think to check FireFox, but nope, it was still v23 and said it was up to date.

And then, rather coincidentally, I had installed ToastyX's Strobelight tool for managing Lightboost on my BenQ XL2420T and was using http://www.testufo.com/ to make sure things were working properly, and the site worked with Pale Moon but when I tried FireFox it told me I needed to be using v24 to get vsync support

definite thumbs up from me for this release

IE10 still behind, limited to 60Hz

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for the heads up! I hope this version fixes the weird screen artifacts on some sites. I see them quite a bit on yahoo.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I had about 15 tabs open before the update, after the update I then clicked on each tab (because FF doesn't reload tab content when restoring a session until the tab has the focus), and memory usage was the same (within say 5MB, ~400MB total). Before I clicked in each tab it was just over half what it was before the update.

In other news, I'm surprised and impressed that someone hasn't said something like "have they fixed the memory leak yet?".

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I would see a checkerboard pattern on part of a page. Sometimes the address bar and tabs will show a duplicate layer beside the original.

What does HA mean? Hardware acceleration? If so where can I find out if it is on or off? A quick search shows the option is greyed out in Windows 7 and missing from Windows 8. I'm using the Windows 8 rig in my signature.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
HA - Hardware Acceleration: Tools > Options > Advanced > General > 'Use Hardware Acceleration when available'

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
No, this setting is in Firefox. In you have the Firefox menu enabled, then go into it then click Options (and follow the rest of my previous instruction, skipping out the 'Tools' bit).

In IE it's an IE only setting. In Firefox it's a Firefox only setting.