firefox 22 final released

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/22.0-candidates/build2/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 22.0.exe

this is not the official release!!!! that is scheduled for Week of June 24
What’s New

• NEW Windows: Firefox now follows display scaling options to render text larger on high-res displays
  • NEW WebRTC is now enabled by default!
  • NEW Mac OS X: Download progress in Dock application icon
  • NEW HTML5 audio/video playback rate can now be changed
  • NEW Social services management implemented in Add-ons Manager
  • NEW asm.js optimizations (OdinMonkey) enabled for major performance improvements
  • CHANGED Improved WebGL rendering performance through asynchronous canvas updates
  • CHANGED Plain text files displayed within Firefox will now word-wrap
  • CHANGED For user security, the |Components| object is no longer accessible from web content
  • CHANGED Improved memory usage and display time when rendering images
  • CHANGED Pointer Lock API can now be used outside of fullscreen
  • DEVELOPER CSS3 Flexbox implemented and enabled by default
  • DEVELOPER New Web Notifications API implemented
  • DEVELOPER Added clipboardData API for JavaScript access to a user's clipboard
  • DEVELOPER New built-in font inspector
  • HTML5 New HTML5 <data> and <time> elements
  • FIXED Scrolling using some high-resolution-scroll aware touchpads feels slow (829952)

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
installed it and got some whacky error message with window to send error report. stupid me did not save it after sending error report though!! DUH!!!

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
figured out that it was an extension that was not compatable with the new version. uninstalled that and problem went away. it was old extension called sort places. installed something different to replace it

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
All ok so far, did notice that when you do About Firefox, it no longer shows what update channel you are on.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Nice! does it seem to render pages faster after the addition of the odinmonkey engine?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
What is

• CHANGED For user security, the |Components| object is no longer accessible from web content
???

Beachguy

Jun 23, 2013
I have noticed one difference. If you go to about:memory, Firefox 22 uses significantly less memory than version 21.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
They must've pushed the updates in the past 10 minutes. Auto-update worked for me and v22 is on the site.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
wtf. I updated, and now everything is "bigger". It's like my resolution went to my previously set 1680x1050 (native for my monitor) to now something like 1024x768, but it's ONLY in my Firefox window. Outside of FF everything looks like it is supposed to.

Even my bookmarks on my toolbar are much bigger than they were. Anyone ever experience something like this?

yes, I checked the shortcut and compatibility tab to make sure it wasn't running at a lower resolution. None of the boxes are checked, but that's how FF is behaving as if the 640x480 setting.

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
That's crazy. Did you try to restart with addons disabled, or run it logged in as a different user account?

You may have to reset firefox if that doesn't work.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I updated FF on another PC and the same thing happened. One is running XP Pro and one is running Win7. I tried running FF with addons disabled. Same result. I thought it might have been an overlapping addon, but apparently not. I also tried disabling addons individually, no difference.

I don't see why profile or resetting firefox would make a difference since it's on two different PCs, but I'll give them both a try.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
hardware acceleration is unchecked. I tried a new profile, same result. i tried using "reset firefox" same result. :( I'm going to try and roll back to 21 and see if that fixes it.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Rolling back to 21 fixed it. So it's definitely an issue with 22. How odd that it's two different computers though...with different operating systems.

I have no addons installed right now, so I'm going to try and upgrade to 22 again on this PC to see if it was a problem with one of the add-ons during upgrade. Turning off add-ons once upgraded didn't have an effect, but maybe it was during the upgrade that something went awry.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Upgrading to 22 again created the same issue, even with no add-ons installed and doing it after a FF reset. So I don't know what the deal was. Guess I can't upgrade to 22.

MontyAC

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2004
I didn't like the font scaling on version 22 and went back to the prior version. I have a 27" 1440p monitor and I had to adjust the font size down on every site. I hope they'll have a patch to correct this.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I did find this topic discussing what happened to me in the beta versions: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2678897

I haven't tried changing about:config as I've rolled back to FF21 for right now. but DPI settings would make sense and the issues some of them say they have, are exactly what I was seeing. I have the OS DPI setting set above 100% on both my XP and Win7 machines, so that would probably explain it. I'll probably either mess with it later, or tomorrow. I don't have the patience right now.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Setting layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1 does correct the issue with text, but the rest of FF looks like crap. I changed it to 1.3 and it's pretty close to what FF21 looked like but still not the same (and looks worse IMO). I tried 1.1, 1.2 up to 1.5 and those look worse. The toolbar icons and bookmark favicons are fuzzy and look like garbage.

Reading through the mozillazine thread, I can't believe they kept this as the default for 22, given all the complaints. One user on the last page put it into words better than I could about how it looks now:

The layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1 fix at least scales the web pages back to what they should be, but now the UI is too small

I shouldn't have to find the balance between PixelsPerPx and text size in order to get FF to look the same. Especially when I set up a computer for poor vision users and now it screws that up. I guess I'll leave FF on 21 until I'm forced to move to 22 either through security or lack of support. :( Very disappointed in this change by Mozilla.

Last edited: