firefox 19 released

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by hclarkjr, Feb 17, 2013.

1. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/19.0-candidates/build1/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 19.0.exe

note this is not the official final, that will be released tomorrow

What’s New

• NEW Built-in PDF viewer
    • NEW Firefox will offer to reset the Awesomebar search provider, if it has been changed by third-party software or through about:config
    • CHANGED Canvas elements can export their content as an image blob using canvas.toBlob()
    • CHANGED Startup performance improvements (bugs 715402 and 756313)
    • DEVELOPER Debugger now supports pausing on exceptions and hiding non-enumerable properties
    • DEVELOPER Remote Web Console is available for connecting to Firefox on Android or Firefox OS (experimental, set devtools.debugger.remote-enabled to true)
    • DEVELOPER There is now a Browser Debugger available for add-on and browser developers (experimental, set devtools.chrome.enabled to true)
    • DEVELOPER Web Console CSS links now open in the Style Editor
    • HTML5 CSS @page is now supported
    • HTML5 CSS viewport-percentage length units implemented (vh, vw, vmin and vmax)
    • HTML5 CSS text-transform now supports full-width
    • FIXED Starting Firefox with -private flag incorrectly claims you are not in Private Browsing mode (802274)

Known Issues

• Unresolved Certain valid WebGL drawing operations are incorrectly rejected, leaving incomplete rendering in affected pages (see 825205)
    • Unresolved If you try to start Firefox using a locked profile, it will crash (see 573369)
    • Unresolved For some users, scrolling in the main GMail window will be slower than usual (see 579260)
    • Unresolved Windows: The use of Microsoft's System Restore functionality shortly after updating Firefox may prevent future updates (see 730285)
    • Unresolved Plugins stop rendering when the top half of the plugin is scrolled off the top of the page, in HiDPI mode (see 825734)

2. pyonir

pyonir Lifer

Anyone used the 19 beta version and had experience with the new PDF viewer? Thoughts? It'll be interesting to see how that works.

I'll wait until the official release, but thanks for the info hclark.

3. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

just tried it now on my website for work to view mu checks, worked perfectly when most of the time the site bitches about using adobe and nothing else

4. MontyAC

MontyAC Diamond Member

I just updated. The built in PDF viewer works seamlessly. Nice upgrade.

5. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

I will have to try our this version of Firefox :)

6. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

Updated ok from your link. Firefox says 'on release update channel' .. is that the Beta or Regular channel ? ?

What is the option to use Firefox built in pdf viewer ? ?
    I see use Adobe Reader or use Adobe Acrobat in Firefox
    in the Applications settings.

#6 bruceb, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Franzi

Franzi Member

The build-in pdf viewer has been around since firefox 15 you have to enable it manually in about:config:

pdfjs.disabled;false

#7 Franzi, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I have a Preview in Nightly(Firefox) option. It works ok, but I prefer a standalone viewer.

9. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

I am using Adobe Reader 9.5 right now. V10 has some features I do not like. Mozilla should put the option to use their built in viewer, in with the Application settings, where it should be easy to find.

10. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

You don't have this?

[​IMG]

11. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

Yes, I do. Portable PDF is set to Preview In Firefox ... the other options I mentioned above refer to Adobe Forms (near the top of the list of applications) .. I do not have "preview in iceweasel"

12. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

What's Adobe Forms? I don't have an option for that either. Perhaps it can't do whatever it is that does. Poking around in about:config might turn something up.

Iceweasel is a rebranded Firefox Debian uses. It has some Debian specific patches, but for all intents and purposes, is the same as regular Firefox.

13. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

Not sure, but I have Acrobat 6 Pro installed on the computer and Adobe Reader 9.5 .. it may have to do with Acrobat Pro

[​IMG]

14. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

If you open a regular PDF, dos it open in Firefox? If so, I'm guessing Acrobat adds some niche support for other file types.

Acrobat 6 is pretty old. I wonder if there's any security risks using a package that old?

15. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

I only use it to edit certain pdfs that I know are safe. I use Reader 9.5 (yes it is old) to open pdf files and they are always from locations I am sure are ok.

16. Mem

Mem Lifer

It's final now ie on their homepage or you can update via your Firefox browser.

17. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

#17 Chiefcrowe, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013