Firefighters who volunteered for New Orleans stuck taking PC classes

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
LINK

ATLANTA - Hundreds of firefighters who volunteered to help rescue victims of Hurricane Katrina have instead been playing cards, taking classes on FEMA's history and lounging at an Atlanta airport hotel for days while they await orders.

The firefighters - some from as far away as Washington state - have received vaccines and specialized training, including classes on sexual harassment, the history of FEMA and how to deal with ethnic groups.

My hope is that we are not wasting time and people's lives by having firefighters sit though hours of political correctness training. If one person dies because of it, political correctness will have destroyed more than its ever hoped to have fixed.

ToeJam13

May 18, 2004
I didn't see an existing post. Another thread is talking about the firefighters sitting around, handing out flyers and doing photo-ops with the president and other officials, but nothing about the classes.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: mikeford
What are they supposed to be doing while waiting for a fire to respond to?
Helping to recover bodies, help on house-to-house searches for survivors, help deliver aid, help clear debris, help clean up the city, etc.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If our military got to ignore the cultural training prior to going to Iraq, should our domestic assistance forces be required to go through it before responding to a time-sensitive matter in a marginally less foreign locus?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mikeford
What are they supposed to be doing while waiting for a fire to respond to?

i hope this was sarcasm. you really can't be this dumb can you?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
And this is what people mean when they say FEMA is a horribly bungled organization that shouldn't be trusted with running a lemonade stand.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: zendari
What do you expect from the liberals and their PC movement?

Well I'd expect the big, tough conservatives who are supposedly running everything to stand up to the liberals in a case like this. I mean, this whole "oppressed by the liberals" nonsense can only go on for so long before we should be wondering just what in the hell the conservatives are doing with their "mainstream America" support.

goota

Mar 7, 2005

Liberals?? you arent serious right?

its just more bureaucratic bullsh*t. dumbass government.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Of course I can be this stupid, haven't you read any of my posts?

If firefighters get split up and sent out to do normal stuff who is going to respond to a fire?

Sure if there are ems etc in the group send them out as needed, but to expect manpower to always fit the needs isn't reasonable. How a fire dept works is that they do a LOT of playing cards and waiting for a call, thats the nature of being able to rapidly respond.

This business of realtime criticism of the relief effort based off of half assed news reports really needs to stop.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: goota

Liberals?? you arent serious right?

its just more bureaucratic bullsh*t. dumbass government.

And who was responsible for all the lawsuites that forced the governments (Local/State/Federal) to put such requirements into place.

Most of such regulations were put into place after WWII becuase some people could not accept common sense and felt/took the anything goes attitude