Finished replaying Wolfenstein

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
I tried going old school and firing up Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny. It wasn't the graphics that were the problem, it was the control. Two problems 1) lack of a one button solution for strafing (you have to hold a button down and then turn), and 2) whenever you move your mouse, it would move the character regardless of key binding. I couldn't figure a way to turn that off. Just made it too difficult to control my character and almost impossible to check around corners quickly.

There's a Wolfenstein 3D total conversion for Doom that you can use with a modern Doom source port (I used GZDoom). The port isn't perfect (I had to noclip my way past walls on a few levels), but it's pretty damn close to the real thing, and using a Doom source port resolves the speed-control issues of the original.

http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/downloads.html

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Check this out, I’ve got RTCW running on a PS2 emulator, and I’m playing through the Egyptian levels I talked about earlier:

PS2.jpg

Mouse response is atrocious, but the game works perfectly. I’ve even got my ESDF bindings working. My system has no trouble generating a constant 120FPS, even with 6x oversampling set in the emulator.

The textures are definitely blurrier than the PC version. Also the internal tick seems much lower, like 15-20FPS, so the animations are much stiffer.

I really wish somebody would port these levels to the PC, but this’ll have to do as an alternative.