Finding the IP address of a printer

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
How do I find an IP address of a printer? I'm using Windows 98, and we have a few printers in the office that we need to find the IP address of. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any input.

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Well, I downloaded HPJetAdmin and found the IP addresses of most of the computers. Is there another way to find the IP address of printers? I know I can use the menus on the printers, but some laser printers do not have menus. Thanks again.

Damascus

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
I thought I remember that you could just call the printer by name and it should
resolve to an IP...

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
The guy that I work with told me that also, but he didn't explain how to do it. Can you show me how? It's not under Properties.

Damascus

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2001
I have no idea since I've never worked extensively with networked printers. I'm
just repeating what I've heard here before. :)

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
That's fine...I guess the only way to do it is through the printer's control panel and print server software...thanks for the help Damascus...really appreciate the effort.

millsy

Jul 26, 2001
If the printer is setup with a share name, then you can just ping the name.
Like if you got a printer called Donald on your LAN then open command prompt and type 'ping donald' and it will return IP address.

Using the HP setup program or JetAdmin is also a good utility.

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Ohh!! In that case, I've tried pinging the printers, and they've timed out. Some printers are under different directories, for instance (\\company\600n) and (\\company\editorial). I've tried using the command (ping \\company\600n), and I'm not use if that's the right syntax, but I get a "Request timed out." Anyways, thanks for all your help guys.

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
you could walk up to it and scroll through the menu on it if it has an LCD screen. It'll be in the menus somwhere

JohnnyPC

Sep 25, 2001
Check the mfg website for any specific routines the printer might have for this info. Mine get's printed when I do a test page...

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Maybe you could make sure your network connection is inactive for a while...then print a few pages on it...while it's printing, open a DOS window and type "netstat -n". Specifically, look for the IPs that are ESTABLISHED. It should be listed in the table.

Good luck!

What I mean by inactive is don't go on any IMing services, browse websites, etc. Just keep it cool for about 10 minutes. Then start to print and run the command.

millsy

Jul 26, 2001
netstat is a good thing

You can even try 'nbtstat - A 600n' in a DOS prompt
This tests NetBIOS over TCP/IP connections. As you know the NetBIOS name '600n' you can query this to find out IP address.