Find the Arab-Isaeli conflict confusing?

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
There were Four threads created to keep the issues categorized.

Please use them

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

It seems that the news usually represents the standpoint of the government (not the people) of Israel, with little or none representing the standpoint of Arabs. A lot of us simply want the truth, but it seems there is a war also being waged on the truth. Who stands to gain by our confusion?

I found this interesting: one Arab's viewpoint, in an American magazine, written in 1947, 6 months before the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.

Link

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Originally posted by: TheSnowman
Just Monday on TDS Jon Stewart made an excellent crack on our Media's flagrantly biased portrayal of this conflict:

"It's the mobious strip of issues, it only has one side!"

http://www.thedailyshow.com/fu...jhtml?episodeId=213378

The interview at the end goes into the media's biased portrayal of conflict as well.

Only a WASPy Scottsman would decry Israel's glorious, legal, and righteous conquest of the infidels...

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
By now it is a tried and true method: if you ask too many questions you are labeled anti-Semitic, which stops most people dead in their tracks.
But everybody needs to keep clear that Zionism is a POLITICAL movement, not a religion, and that the will of the bulk of Israelis (and Jews in general) is rarely represented accurately in America.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
King Abdullah,'s throne the state of Jordan, and Israel all share the same founder--Europeans, so he really has to right to complain.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: db
By now it is a tried and true method: if you ask too many questions you are labeled anti-Semitic, which stops most people dead in their tracks.
But everybody needs to keep clear that Zionism is a POLITICAL movement, not a religion, and that the will of the bulk of Israelis (and Jews in general) is rarely represented accurately in America.

jews are unique, its a religion, a culture and a people. And its all fucking wrong. Sorry, I am anti-semetic I guess, but with whats going on and what has been going on for 1000s of years makes me that way. I am not saying I hate jews (my SO and her kids are jews and feel like I do) but I dislike isreal and there ways. I dont care if you hate Palestinians, but what they are doing is just plain wrong. If they are so intellegent and have $$$ why dont they just use some intel and wipe out the enemy stealthly. No, they want to be all power and Bush-like and be freaking cowboys. It will be their undoing. And people wonder why the world, yes, the world, hates isreal. They just dont have the balls to state it.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
King Abdullah,'s throne the state of Jordan, and Israel all share the same founder--Europeans, so he really has to right to complain.

Jordan isn't keeping millions of people locked down under military control while colonizing their homeland out from under them.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Israel doesn't really have world backing, pretty much just the US and while most ever other nation in the world opposes Israel's colonization of the West Bank and all the atrocities that are perpetuated though it, but they can't overcome our Veto power the UN which has been holding back all the steps that must be taken to stop it, much like apartheid was finally stopped in South Africa.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Israel doesn't really have world backing, pretty much just the US and while most ever other nation in the world opposes Israel's colonization of the West Bank and all the atrocities that are perpetuated though it, but they can't overcome our Veto power the UN which has been holding back all the steps that must be taken to stop it, much like apartheid was finally stopped in South Africa.

Pretty much about my no balls remark.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Jordan isn't keeping millions of people locked down under military control while colonizing their homeland out from under them.

I don't think Israel playing nice would have kept King Abdullah happy.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000

I don't think Israel playing nice...

Sure, extremists like yourself have never had any interest in playing nice, which is why Israel continues to do nothing of the sort.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

Sure, extremists like yourself have never had any interest in playing nice, which is why Israel continues to do nothing of the sort.

how am i an extremist I didn't make any judgment about Israel positive or negative. I was criticizing King Abdullah.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
IMHO, this thread assumption is somewhat absurd, there is nothing confusing at all.

Just strip off Israeli propaganda, strip off Arab propaganda, strip away Palestinian propaganda, and above all reject the concept that any numbers of wrongs add up to one right, and then substitute your own standards of what is fair instead, and the confusion totally vanishes.

Think for yourself. Then it becomes very possible to respect Israel's right to exist and realize that it can't be purchased in the coin of exploitation and unfairness.

Until Israel and the Palestinian people can work for common goals, no peace will ever be possible. All we are doing now is failing to redress where it all went tragically wrong in 1948. And piling the bullshit higher and deeper. Binding third party arbitration may be required.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
IMHO, this thread assumption is somewhat absurd, there is nothing confusing at all.

Just strip off Israeli propaganda, strip off Arab propaganda, strip away Palestinian propaganda, and above all reject the concept that any numbers of wrongs add up to one right, and then substitute your own standards of what is fair instead, and the confusion totally vanishes.

Think for yourself. Then it becomes very possible to respect Israel's right to exist and realize that it can't be purchased in the coin of exploitation and unfairness.

Until Israel and the Palestinian people can work for common goals, no peace will ever be possible. All we are doing now is failing to redress where it all went tragically wrong in 1948. And piling the bullshit higher and deeper. Binding third party arbitration may be required.
It is not Israel and the Palestinian people. It is Israel and the outside forces that choose to exploit the Palestinian people.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000

how am i an extremist I didn't make any judgment about Israel positive or negative. I was criticizing King Abdullah.

You are an extremist because your attempts to criticize Abdullah were presented to excuse the injustices Israel continues to inflict upon Palestinian people in the ongoing colonization of their land.

Those of us trying to end this conflict condemn both the terrorists and the colonizers, but you just back the powerful as the contenue colonizing the land out from under the meager people around them.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

You are an extremist because your attempts to criticize Abdullah were presented to excuse the injustices Israel continues to inflict upon Palestinian people in the ongoing colonization of their land.

Those of us trying to end this conflict condemn both the terrorists and the colonizers, but you just back the powerful as the contenue colonizing the land out from under the meager people around them.

You're putting words in my mouth. I can agree with someone and still call them a hypocrite, I can disagree with someone and call them a hypocrite. You have no idea what my views are so you're making them up and then trying to attack me. I never judged the Palestinians or Israel, I judged Abdullah.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I can agree with someone and still call them a hypocrite...

You could have, but you just called him a hypocrite instead, just like all the other extremists perpetuating this conflict from our side do.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I can agree with someone and still call them a hypocrite...

You could have, but you just called him a hypocrite instead, just like all the other extremists perpetuating this conflict from our side do.

who is "our" side? what are you on about now?

Me: Abdullah is a fool for complaining about British intervention when him and his country are a product of it.

You: You are an extremists perpetuating this conflict bla bla bla I am melting because I'm a snowman

:confused:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Get a life Farang, call King Abdullah an idiot and wrong, in the grand scheme of things, it makes not a wit of difference, there are no shortage of wrong idiots on all sides, we are in a fine mess now, now how do we restore a fair future settlement?

You are the wrong idiot and a hypocrite if you cling to the notion that a long dead idiot justifies driving the conflict now, or his wrongs justifies current Israeli wrongs.

When stripped to the bare logical or your lack of logic essentials, that is simply what you are saying. Two wrongs or two million wrongs on both sides somehow make a right. And that we must be forever be a captive of the past. The Hatfields v the McCoys rides again.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Get a life Farang, call King Abdullah an idiot and wrong, in the grand scheme of things, it makes not a wit of difference, there are no shortage of wrong idiots on all sides, we are in a fine mess now, now how do we restore a fair future settlement?

You are the wrong idiot and a hypocrite if you cling to the notion that a long dead idiot justifies driving the conflict now, or his wrongs justifies current Israeli wrongs.

When stripped to the bare logical or your lack of logic essentials, that is simply what you are saying. Two wrongs or two million wrongs on both sides somehow make a right. And that we must be forever be a captive of the past. The Hatfields v the McCoys rides again.

I.

Never.

Said.

Anything.

Justifies.

Anything.

Dear god.. the idiocy of you people might just turn me into a zionist.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
who is "our" side? what are you on about now?

Our side as Americans. Our economic and diplomatic power go to perpetuating Israelis ongoing conquest of Palestinian land. Some of us want to end it, and some of use just make snide comments about Arabs to cheer it on, but we are all Americans in this.

Abdullah is a fool for complaining about British intervention when him and his country are a product of it.

Acutally, he is complaining about the impending UN intevertion, after the British got the hell out of the deal and handed it over to the UN, chasced out in large part by Jewish terrorists no less. The British acutally abstained from the UN vote on the Partition Plan for Palestine.