Find out how much of your donation actually goes to charity

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Okay. So this isn't a "deal" in that it won't save you any money. But you can use this to verify that your donations aren't really going to some company's bank account instead of your charity. In that sense, it's a hot deal for your charity (and for your conscience).

Here's the deal: it turns out that alot of the phone calls you receive soliciting for donations to various charities are not from volunteers but are from FOR-PROFIT companies. So-called "professional solicitors." In exchange for a percentage of the donation, these companies will do the grunt work of actually running fundraisers. As we'll see, they don't come cheap. A number of these solicitors keep 99 percent of the donation for themselves while passing only 1 percent to your charity. How about that. You donate $20 to your charity and feel pretty good about yourself but it turns out that the solicitor is keeping $19.80 for themselves and giving $0.20 to your charity. Woohoo!

I don't know about most states but before they can solicit funds from Kentucky residents, Kentucky law requires them to register themselves with the state consumer protection division. The state attorney general, in turn, publishes a web page with those professional solicitors that are currently registered, the duration of their fundraiser, and more importantly, the details about how the donations are being split between the company and the charity.

Since a number of these fundraisers are being operated by companies outside the state of Kentucky, it's quite possible that they're running their fundraisers in other states so this list might be useful to non-Kentucky residents too.

List of currently active fundraising campaigns being run in Kentucky by professional solicitors

Print this list out and keep it near the phone. The next time you answer the phone and it's someone asking for donations, you'll be able to ask them whether they're volunteering and if not, who they work for. If they're on the list and they're keeping a large percentage of the donations for themselves, perhaps you should find an alternate way to donate to your charity (perhaps directly) so that your money doesn't help some entrepreneur pay for his or her Porsche. Your charity and your conscience will thank you for it.

ValsalvaYourHeartOut

Apr 30, 2001
Why don't you just donate to the Catholic Church? That way, at least you know your money will be well-spent on defending those poor priests accused of molesting those little boys and girls.

Valsalva

idgaf13

Oct 31, 2000
Salvation Army makes big money.
They are the largest seller of rags in the country.
A profitable market.

Yuniverse

Jan 27, 2000
I can't believe so many "charities" taking over 80percent of the donations... some 99percent!!!
Anything over 50 percent should be classified as fraud :(

Z80

Jan 29, 2001
If anybody wants to send me a donation, rest assured I'll keep 100% and it will go to a very good cause - my next computer ;)

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001

<< yea, a bunch of 99%, crazy, how can they call themselves a charity! >>

Obviously the charity's then a front to dupe people into giving this fundraising agency their money. :disgust: I just checked the NJ site and looked up this one fundraising firm that's been bugging my family for a solid week... let's just say their altruism doesn't show in the figures.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Um, er, actually, I've donated money to some of these guys. I'm not sure how much money actually went to the Fraternal Order of Police, but I got a nice sticker out of it.

Anyways, in Illinois, professional solicitors and charities have to register with the IL Attorney General. Title 14

Unfortunately, Illinois is still working on creating a website listing these organizations.

There is some useful advice from Illinois.

And the BBB's list.

happyhelper

Feb 20, 2002
What amazes me is not that fund-raisers take most of the money for themselves instead of who they say it is for, I mean that is just obvious. What amazes me is that human beings are still stupif enough to give away their own money. Haha dumbasses.

Cipherous

Aug 4, 2001
thats insane!!! the gull of those people taking the majority of the donation. Glad you brought this up

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Another reason to say fvck charity and just help the people you know who are in need

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Some good rules to follow with respect to charitable donations:

1) NEVER give money to ANY unsolicited charity caller. The vast
majority of these are hired hands taking a big cut of the money
(as stated above). Whenever anyone calls asking for money,
I tell them "Please send me information about your charity that
I can review. After reading it, I may send you a donation." Only
legitimate charities with legitimate volunteer solictors will ever
send you anything (very rare). If you want to give to a charity,
even a charity that calls you, contact them independently and
find out how/where to send your donation. Do not agree to a donation
over the phone with an unsolicited caller even if it's a charity you
like and want to support.

2) Do your homework. A LOT of well known charities do their greatest
charity work for the executives that run them. A well-known case in
point is the American Red Cross, where the top guns earn obscene
amounts of money.

3) Give to the Salvation Army. They pay their executives very little, meaning
most of the money/donations go to where they actually will do some good.
Which is what it's all about, IMHO.

Kwad

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I am outraged. Thanks for the post. As Kwadguy said, contact the charity personally before giving to make sure your hard earned money is going to where it will be used to the fullest extent. I am passing this on to others.

Sesopedalian

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
"2) Do your homework. A LOT of well known charities do their greatest
charity work for the executives that run them. A well-known case in
point is the American Red Cross, where the top guns earn obscene
amounts of money"

How true - and if you are irritated with the executives making yearly salaries in the hundreds of thousands, you can add the The American Cancer Society and The United Way to that list also. We all know it takes competent, qualified, people to run these organizations, but come on, their salaries are really obsene.

Shagger

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2001
What amazes me is not that fund-raisers take most of the money for themselves instead of who they say it is for, I mean that is just obvious. What amazes me is that human beings are still stupif enough to give away their own money. Haha dumbasses.

I think people want to help but these organ-I-zations take advantage of peoples guilt at having nice things. I hardly ever donate $$$ I usually donate gently used items. That way I get a tax break and feel better than if I threw it out in the trash.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

<< What amazes me is not that fund-raisers take most of the money for themselves instead of who they say it is for, I mean that is just obvious. What amazes me is that human beings are still stupif enough to give away their own money. Haha dumbasses. >>

Remind me to laugh at you when you need a little help you POS.

Anyway these figures are disgusting.