Find Bad Bridges in your area

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I've driven over more than a handful of the Minnesota ones in the last three or four days. W00t.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I wonder if anyone has tried cross referencing the 'baddie bridges' with the sex-offender database, and the phases of the moon?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
The falling bridge lottery... it could be you!

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Quite a few in Portland, Oregon :Q

I think most are decent except the Sellwood. If that decrepit wreck doesn't keel over within five years, I'll be shocked. I read somewhere that the beams for the approach spans were recycled from the original Burnside bridge. You know, the one built in 1894.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
who gives a shit

you're about as likely to die from a bridge collapse as you are from masturbating furiously in the restroom during the 12th hour of the 3rd day of the 2nd month following every other bicentennial

seriously what the fuck, how many people have died in bridge collapses (not caused by natural disasters) in the past 20 years compared to the other 934883579345 things that can kill you

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: dainthomas

I think most are decent except the Sellwood. If that decrepit wreck doesn't keel over within five years, I'll be shocked. I read somewhere that the beams for the approach spans were recycled from the original Burnside bridge. You know, the one built in 1894.

Minnesota bridge 50/100
Sellwood bridge 2/100

I've seen better bridges in the rain forest.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dainthomas

Yep. Really, the Sellwood and the Sauvie Island bridges are the worst at this time, and the only ones to be genuinely concerned about. The Sauvie bridge is in the process of being replaced, but the Sellwood has been tied up in discussion and planning for years now, even though an engineering study a decade ago said that it needed to be replaced by 2006. One of the bigger problems is that the city allowed new development right alongside the bridge on the east bank (Sellwood side), and right where a new bridge would need to go, so now they're all running in circles trying to come up with elaborate (and expensive) alternatives. The latest multi-hundred page study has been on the county's website if you want to look it up. My opinion is that they should just close the bridge for a year while they tear it down and build a new one.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
"Thats not a bridge, that's termites holding hands!"

I went across a bridge like that that once. I was really young (elemntary school). I my dad drove across it with the rest of my family in the truck. I want to say it was once of those swaying rope bridges, but it was so long I can't really remember. Scary as hell.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
US Bridges is falling down,
Falling down, Falling down.

US Bridges is falling down,
My fair lady.

Take a key and lock her up,
Lock her up, Lock her up.

Take a key and lock her up,
My fair lady.

How will we build it up,
Build it up, Build it up?

How will we build it up,
My fair lady?

Build it up with silver and gold,
Silver and gold, Silver and gold.

Build it up with silver and gold,
My fair lady.

Gold and silver I have none,
I have none, I have none.

Gold and silver I have none,
My fair lady.

Build it up with needles and pins,
Needles and pins, Needles and pins.

Build it up with needles and pins,
My fair lady.

Pins and needles bend and break,
Bend and break, Bend and break.

Pins and needles bend and break,
My fair lady.

Build it up with wood and clay,
Wood and clay, Wood and clay.

Build it up with wood and clay,
My fair lady.

Wood and clay will wash away,
Wash away, Wash away.

Wood and clay will wash away,
My fair lady.

Build it up with stone so strong,
Stone so strong, Stone so strong.

Build it up with stone so strong,
My fair lady.

Stone so strong will last so long,
Last so long, Last so long.

Stone so strong will last so long,
My fair lady.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Not same design, no pillars or single points of failure.

Wouldn't worry about that one for a loooooong time.

You may be right.

What I was thinking is an earthquake could easily bump the arch off it's small concrete support like this.

I can't believe how dangerously small they built the support pads for the giant size of the bridge.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Wow, not a single bridge on that list from my county in NY. (Allegany County)
And almost none near me in the neighboring county.

Then again, by major bridge, they mean 10,000 cars per day. It'd take 1/2 the population of my country driving the same road to accomplish that. I should take a picture of the bridge next to the corner of my property. Pretty scary looking. I think the next downgrade is going to be "you'll get over it if you're lucky. You might have to call a tow truck though."