financing for college

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice here. I've got my 2 year associates degree, took a few months off and was planning on going back to school this fall. I've run into a snag though. Due to my prior performance (didn't like my program, left it hence a few months off as i changed majors) I'm no longer eligible for any student aid (federal loans/aid, fafsa, etc) until I can get some more passed classes/semester ratio up.

Currently my living expenses total about 900-1000 a month. School is going to wind up costing about 6-8k a year for summer, fall, and spring courses and books. I figure in a year I'll need 19k to live. I've been working full time and will try to continue that, but it just barely pays my bills now so I suspect I'll be cutting back to like 20-25 hours a week. I figure I'll be in a deficit of about 13-14k a year perhaps and need a student loan.

My father will co-sign for credit with me if needed, but of course I would prefer that he not half to. I checked out citibanks offerings, and the maximum amount of their loan is that of your school costs.

Do you guys have any places that you would recommend I look for a loan like this? Will I be able to even get a loan like this not only this year but next year too? If not I guess its time for me to move and find somewhere that will pay me more than $7 an hour so I can afford to go to school at least part time too.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Yeah I'm just looking for a good educational loan provider, any good banks to recommend? With citi I applied for a loan, not a CC, but they won't give more than your tuition costs........

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I met this nice girl in Montreal that went to McGill who seemed to be doing well. We had a long discussion about the US vs. Canadian Justice systems and extradition laws when the death penalty was in play.

Do you happen to be 5' 8", 115lbs, blond, and look nice in a g-string?

Windogg

LoveDoc

Jul 18, 2001
If you've got living expenses of 900-1000 a month, and you are only making $7 an hour, I would suggest you find another place to live and a better paying job..

I know exactly what you are talking about though, i just came out of my first year of college 14k in debt.. i made the decision though, which i know is not for everyone, to join the rotc so that cut it down to about 4k and i wont really have to worry about the next three years.. the only downside of course being I'm gonna have to commit to a few years in the Army after i graduate...

If thats not a route you want to take though I would suggest like I said before, trying to find another, less expensive place to live, and try to find something paying a bit more than $7/hr...

Also, if you do some of those online scholarship searches, like FastWeb and Sallie Mae's search those will usually have scholarships for students in just about any situation... and if they dont have a scholarship for you a lot of them give you info on organizations that offer private loans with really low, sometimes 0, interest rate....
hope some of this helps..

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I would suggest taking a few classes at a community college to bring your grades back up. Contact a person at your cc and see what they say. i have heard of it being done before. I'm not sure how many classes it will take, might just need 2 classes (with decent grades) for a semester to show academic improvement.

Good luck

Will