Finally upgrading, what games should I get?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
My current PC is an XP 1700 / GF3 Ti 200 that I built 3 years ago.

I was debating whether to build a new one or buy a Dell. As much as I wanted to build, I couldn't beat the price of the Dell and the 0% financing.
I'm got a Dimension 8400 with:
P4 3GHz
1GB DDR2
GeForce 6800
80GB HDD
19" CRT
3 year at-home service warranty
Total: $786 through EPP with coupon code and rebates.

I haven't bought many games in the past year or two since many of the newer games would have run like crap or not at all on my old PC.

What should I buy or ask for for father's day?

I lean towards FPS games with my favorites over the years being Quake 2, Rogue Spear, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, No One Lives Forever 2, and Battlefield 1942. I enjoy both single-player missions and online play. The only thing I know I want right now is Farcry and possibly HL2 (mainly for CS:S).

Any suggestions for other games I would like?

Taggart

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
Another good one is Battlefield 2, I am surprised no one has mentioned this yet

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: DT4K
My current PC is an XP 1700 / GF3 Ti 200 that I built 3 years ago.

I was debating whether to build a new one or buy a Dell. As much as I wanted to build, I couldn't beat the price of the Dell and the 0% financing.
I'm got a Dimension 8400 with:
P4 3GHz
1GB DDR2
GeForce 6800
80GB HDD
19" CRT
3 year at-home service warranty
Total: $786 through EPP with coupon code and rebates.

I haven't bought many games in the past year or two since many of the newer games would have run like crap or not at all on my old PC.

What should I buy or ask for for father's day?

I lean towards FPS games with my favorites over the years being Quake 2, Rogue Spear, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, No One Lives Forever 2, and Battlefield 1942. I enjoy both single-player missions and online play. The only thing I know I want right now is Farcry and possibly HL2 (mainly for CS:S).

Any suggestions for other games I would like?

that is a pretty good price, but only has the 6800 and not the gt, y ou might want to check out benchmarks on the 2. is there anything in your current machine you could use? i am playing the bf2 demo and run @ 800x600, most on high, with no shadows and 2AA and it looks pretty good and i get a min of 30fps and a max of 99. i personally like 1280x1024 but i am not going to drop a couple hundred $$$ on a new video card to play a slightly higher resolution.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
HL2 for CS:S? Don't hold your breath, it's nothing compared with CoD. Single player HL2 on the other hand is simply the best FPS experience ever.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Malladine
HL2 for CS:S? Don't hold your breath, it's nothing compared with CoD. Single player HL2 on the other hand is simply the best FPS experience ever.

I enjoyed CS a couple years ago. I played again recently and it was still a lot of fun, so I thought I'd have fun with CS:S. I played the HL2 demo and it was ok, but got boring. Is the full game more interesting than the demo? I know single player FPS are all going to have the same formula, but I got a little tired of just moving through each area, shooting some monster, then moving to the next area. I felt the same way about HL1. It was boring compared to single player COD and MOH.

I forgot to put BF2 down. I really want to love it, but I'm afraid it might suck. I was a major BF1942 addict for over a year, but I could never really get into BFV. I might go back and try that again and see if I like it better on a machine that can run it decently.

stnicralisk

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Chronicles of Riddick
HL2
Painkiller
Thief 3

Non shooters to consider
WH40k: DOW
Civilization
Vampire Bloodlines (patch it immediately should you get it)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Definately not newer games, but I loved both the single-player campaign in both Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Max Payne 2.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
I'm playing Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay right now. It's pretty damn cool.
a lot of people recommend this one, but I haven't played it myself.

The demo for Painkiller was fun. Run-and-gun action and the full game is cheap now ($20 or $27 with expansion). It's on my to-buy list.

If you're a trek fan (or even if not), ST Voyager: Elite Force is a little old now but was fun. I got it in the "Star Trek Action Pack" (with expansion and ST Armada I & II) for $15