Finally some GOOD news for cigarette smokers!!

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Nicotine Found To Prevent Some Diseases

LOS ANGELES ? For years consumers have been warned about the dangers of smoking, but now doctors say one ingredient found in cigarettes may hold the key to good health.

Nicotine (search), known to be a potentially toxic stimulant, has been found to actually do some good. Studies have found that smokers using the nicotine patch to try and kick the habit were less likely to develop a variety of diseases like Parkinson's (search) and Alzheimer's (search) because nicotine can stimulate receptors in the brain that deal with learning, memory and concentration.

"Nicotine by itself, independent of the smoking issue, can in fact turn out to be a very useful medication," said Dr. George Bartzokis, director of the University of California's Alzheimer's Center. "In fact there's a lot of evidence that it may turn out to be a very useful medication." Researchers also believe that nicotine could help younger people fight illnesses such as short-term memory loss, attention deficit disorder (search) and depression.

The National Institute of Aging (search) is so encouraged it donated more than $1 million in grant money to Vermont, Duke, and Georgetown Universities to study nicotine. But doctors add that they don't want people running out to buy the patch in an attempt to thwart certain diseases ? nicotine's potential benefits are still being tested and wearing the patch without a doctor's supervision could actually be dangerous for your health.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
That's like me finding a study that says "GOOD news for fat people!" Then I document some sources where adequate calories actually prevent such ailments as starvation :)

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Well it's a good news bad news kinda thing really.

Bad news, you'll still die, good news, you will remember WHY you're dieing! :p

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
Damn! Why did I have to find this out now! I quit smoking just about a year ago and now I learn this! I'm going to go jump off a cliff now!

- Sarcasm