Finally I have travel pictures again. This time from the Pacific Northwest

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
We headed out to the Pacific Northwest for some great hiking (success), escape the Michigan heat and humidity (mixed-bag), and hopefully do so in away that largely avoided July 4th crowds (mostly successful).

When we landed the line to SeaTac’s rental car shuttles was a shit show even on a Wednesday afternoon so it took 35min to board the shuttle to get our rental car. Thankfully we bypassed the lengthy lines at the rental car complex and walked to a decently stocked (post pandemic anyway) National aisle to pick our car. Grabbed a VW Passat sedan with a grand total of 7 miles on it and off we went.

jqMknsp.jpg

We kept our Eastern Timezone clock and got up early Thursday to get to Henry M Jackson visitor center were the fourth or so car there. Portions of the Skyline Trail were closed while other sections had up to 12’ of snow. The weather ended up getting warm which eventually made the snow quite soft making this a more arduous hike. That plus our flat sealevel conditioned bodies meant we made it to the Glacier overlook before turning back. The steadily warming temperatures made it very mushy on the way back so you’d sink or slide several inches into the deep snow. I ended up doing most of the hike in shorts and a t-shirt and we needed to reapply sunscreen a couple of times. Still the parking lot was jam packed when we got back so yay for arriving early.

MWhIr5X.jpg

SR9JSgu.jpg

fyRnfPO.jpg

xoc5UcY.jpg

CGdWDM3.jpg

Nisqually and Myrtle falls were still closed due to the snow and Reflection Lake was still covered so we headed back down to Narada Falls and Comet Falls before calling it a day

8swOyCV.jpg

pPFrcBA.jpg

yVVGxX9.jpg

O2TsyG6.jpg

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I think the camera is better than the sandwich. Smart phone cameras do not take pictures like that. I am guessing a Nikon or Canon?

Reactions: Captante

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
nice sandwich

Thanks - it was rather tasty. We usually pack a mini-meal to eat at the top of our hike

I think the camera is better than the sandwich. Smart phone cameras do not take pictures like that. I am guessing a Nikon or Canon?

Canon R6 with a 24-105. While we have a plethora of other lenses we often bring that one on longer hikes due to a combination of quality, flexibility and weight.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Beautify area, thanks for the pics! Oh, and as an added bonus, it's hard to scuff your knees on snow :p

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for the pictures!

Wish I had the time to hike Mt Rainier when I was up there two years ago.

and... more pics please!

Reactions: Captante

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Given the late day and afternoon crowds we kept to EST hours and got to the Silver Falls Trailhead early. We had the trail mostly to ourselves until we approached Grove of the Patriarchs where it got a lot busier. There was a brief wait for the pedestrian suspension bridge but it wasn’t too bad. Then we drove back along Paradise road to our AirBnB with several stops for pictures and short walks. And, once back at the AirBnB we needed to replan tomorrow. We were headed to Portland and while the morning was reasonable it was going to hit 105 so we needed to think things through a bit

ZXh3H86.jpg

a4xJ5F0.jpg

hGgfK2p.jpg

38hmoC0.jpg

We left very early again to try and beat some of the heat and stopped by the incredibly Portland Rose Garden before meeting up with friends and drinking and eating the rest of the day away in various airconditioned locations.

HclxfVJ.jpg

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Beautiful pics!

May I ask how long did it took you to reach Portland by car? Did you have any problem with traffic or parking?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Finally! Always enjoyed your pics. Good to see you traveling again!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
As an even hotter day than yesterday we were up early again to drive to Hood River. We had hoped to hike some of the longer trails to Fairy Falls and the top of Multnomah Falls but no chance of that in this heat. So we were in Hood River much earlier than expected. We also called ahead to the hotel so we could see if we could check in early and our room ended up being ready just past noon. When we checked in there were several groups hoping to do the same but they would need to wait till later. Either calling ahead and\or Hilton Gold helped out! For better or worse we filled our hiking time with wine tasting time as the heat seemed to have kept everyone away from the tasting rooms.

2NdiORH.jpg

0UfSgK5.jpg

uFE9mWk.jpg

eqc9fMZ.jpg

Another early night so we could get up early again and drive to Cannon Beach where it was a much more reasonable 65 degrees.

As we got to Cannon Beach it was packed. And foggy. But the temperatures were deliciously cool. With the crowds we drove south to Hug Point and then Ecola park. Sadly the pictures don't really do justice to the rolling clouds of fog

rJTUcXO.jpg

d6GwErv.jpg

Unfortunately I would need to do something work related at 8am EST the following morning so at this point we just decided we would not adjust our bodies to the timezone and just roll with getting up early and going to bed early. It was also helping avoid the crowds and the heat so why not?

x2654eT.jpg

LuNSmMj.jpg

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Fckr...didn't even stop by and buy me a beer...
abe.thumb.png

I did stop and buy a beer for you. Somehow the bottle ended up empty though. Mysteries abound.

Beautiful pics!

May I ask how long did it took you to reach Portland by car? Did you have any problem with traffic or parking?

We were at an AirBnB a little bit outside Mt Ranier park so about 2 hours and 15min. It was a weekend day so no issues with traffic or parking

Finally! Always enjoyed your pics. Good to see you traveling again!

Thanks - we've done two smaller car based trips but this was the first big trip again.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Did that Reflection Lakes trail last fall right before the road closed for the winter. Absolutely love it up there. It's our go-to spot for recharging.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
HEY GUYS!

If you want more wonderful examples of the glory that is America's Northwest just hit google images and look for Folsom Street!

(dont actually do this. its freaks from san francisco)

Last edited:

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Last time we gone to Olympic National Park, we stopped by Hole in the Wall before sunset. There was a little fog so as the sun was setting, it was very beautiful.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The following day was time in Olympic National park for the Sol Duc Falls trail, Marymere Falls Trail and the Devil’s Punchbowl before ending the night in Port Angeles. Sol Duc Falls was a great morning hike with the low sun hitting the mist from the falls while Devil's Punchbowl had some of the bluest water we've ever seen. It looked like someone dumped blue food coloring into the water

a1R4S8B.jpg

JG8MXJU.jpg

ue86MDc.jpg

HsxabXI.jpg

9z67oqP.jpg

31dSlD5.jpg

SiqRaSW.jpg

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
i loved ecola park! it was crazy busy in that little town outside of it though

Probably the town of Cannon Beach and yeah it was crazy. Settled down after dinner though and didn't get busy while we were there until about noon so I'm guessing most people don't stay in the area but do day trips to the beach

Last time we gone to Olympic National Park, we stopped by Hole in the Wall before sunset. There was a little fog so as the sun was setting, it was very beautiful.

Thats awesome!

Beautiful shots, you make me want to get a legit camera 😁

They have their uses :)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I didn't realise the Devil had so many punchbowls!

I remember visiting the one in Surrey on a school trip. One of my classmates decided to run down it, tripped, and broke his arm.

Googling it it seems there are multiple places of that name, both in the UK and the US. (The one in Mississipi has rather sinister associations.)