Finally got to order a 16GB Nexus 4

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by jacktesterson, Jan 29, 2013.

1. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Ohhhh. Thank you for the confirmation! I will gloat later once I'm all set up.

No, I was talking about my new Nexus 7 3G/HSPA+ v. old one w/ WiFi-only. Do not know and likely will not know whether the new batch of Nexus 4s are better built than the first ones, since I did not have one yet. I ordered one yesterday.

2. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Warning!

T-mo prepaid does *not* let you implement conditional call forwarding. This means that the only way to use GV as your voice mail is to make that your primary inbound number and forward to (and from, it's as easy as choosing "use GV to make all calls") your SIM's #. Oh, and you have to call T-mo customer service to make them *turn off* voice mail to your SIM.

Not a big deal unless you want to receive MMS (which GV doesn't yet handle, ugh).

3. Silenus

Silenus Senior member

This. The ONLY thing holding me back from full GV usage. Lack of MMS is still a deal breaker unfortunately.

4. Eug

Eug Lifer

Really? I did not know that.

That sucks, and is a deal breaker. I was just about to start looking into setting up an account in Canada, but without MMS, I'm not going to bother.

5. jacktesterson

jacktesterson Diamond Member

I'll save you some time. As far as I'm aware its still not available in Canada but is supposed to come in 2013

6. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

So is there any other option to get around the low minutes besides GV? I've heard people mention groove ip but I've not really familiar with it. I've been looking to switch to this when my ETF gets lower on ATT but the 100 minutes definitely is not enough for me.

7. Eug

Eug Lifer

I've read that Google Voice is already verifying some Canadian numbers, as long as you have some other US phone number (which you can get for free).

8. s44

s44 Diamond Member

GrooveIP/Talkatone (what's better seems to depend on your device) need GV as a hook-in to the actual phone system. You can get a phone # with other methods but unless you only use that for outbound, you'll need some front-end like GV to integrate your regular # and the VOIP #.

Or you could just eat the overage charge -- 10c/minute. Not that bad really.

9. lopri

lopri Elite Member

You could go with ready-made VOIP products like Groove IP, Talkatone, Viber, etc., or go with a SIP provider and translation app (search cSipsimple at Play store). I find VOIP more than adequate at home and work where WiFi is strong and abundant. On 3G/4G, it works better than I imagined but it's still not good enough to replace traditional voice networks.

So the low voice minute + unlimited data works perfect for me. I'd suggest trying Talkatone first since it's the easiest to setup. Well, there isn't really a setup because all you have to do is to give it permission to access your GV login. But that is obviously troublesome for your privacy - so try setting it up with a dummy Google account or use app-specific password following Google's 2-step authentication setup. I use the app-specific password method for many and it gives me a peace of mind since it separates them among one another. No need to remember the password, and you can simply revoke the password in case you lose your phone, upon which the app will stop functioning.

http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185833

BTW,

Groove IP: Free w/ ads for basic functions, SMS not integrated, pay for the app to tweak
    Talkatone: Free w/ ads for basic functions, SMS integrated, monthly subscription to tweak

#59 lopri, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. joejoe666

joejoe666 Member

Ordered mine Jan 30th. it already arrived!

11. preslove

preslove Lifer

srsly?

It just took 2 days?

12. Sheep

Sheep Golden Member

Who knows how Google's fulfillment works. I ordered my Nexus 7 when they were supposedly in very short supply near launch last summer and received it 2 or 3 days after placing my order; I was fully expecting to wait the full 2 or 3 weeks that was advertised on the Play Store at that time.

13. Robert Munch

Robert Munch Senior member

To make GV my primary number do I pay the additional $20 fee from google to port my number over? I am already on T-Mo prepaid. I guess that's where I get confused since GV won't accept my current number cause it's not supported.

14. thecoolnessrune

thecoolnessrune Diamond Member

As far as GV and MMS goes, they're still working on it. A few days ago my coworker accidentally sent me an MMS to my GV number instead of my work number, and yet it ended up coming through Gmail, with Google Voice telling me I received an MMS. This is on Verizon.

15. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Yeah, MMS is the only thing really keeping me off GV at this point.

16. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Yeah, though note that this will terminate T-Mobile service to that SIM. So do it at the end of a cycle?

17. Dominato3r

Dominato3r Diamond Member

So how does this work? Ordered on Tuesday and have gotten no information since then. No tracking # or anything. I ordered from their Canadian store if that matters any.

18. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Mine came, too. They overnighted it apparently. Going straight home. ^^

19. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

mms? -- Isn't that what email is for? :p

20. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

-___- it's a simple way of communicating with a phone given you have people's phone #s already.

i understand people love to talk about google voice, whatsapp, email, IM, other data-based services, but at the end of the day, texts are still a fundamental form of communication that almost everyone has access to.

I agree people shouldn't be sending thousands of idiotic texts everyday, but rather save stupid chats for free data-based messaging, and instead reserve texts for emergency contact where immediate response is required.

21. Eug

Eug Lifer

MMS is like the ultimate push email, that just about any modern phone can get. Plus on my plan they're free and don't count toward data usage.

Also, for some strange reason my ICS phone will resize the image for MMS, but won't give me that option for email. It just inserts the full sized 3 MB image right into the email. Really irritating. I hope that gets updated in Jelly Bean on my phone.

22. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

You forgot to mention iMessage.

I agree that text messaging will stay (and should), however I still don't get what the draw of MMS is. I have never used it and nobody I know ever send me one (maybe two, three times, going way back to 95). Somehow I missed that fad completely. Back in the late 90s when people started to get familiar with sms, sending pictures through it was a hit or miss. Sometimes it arrives but as garbled up gibberish. We then just gave up and focused on texting.

Then the smartphone era started (I'm talking about Nokias, Dopod WinMos and Blackberries, not iPhones) and people I know just started to send pictures through email, and of course lately the messaging apps you listed. I got lucky I never had any problems with friends trying to send me an MMS :)

23. iahk

iahk Senior member

I was under the assumption that was the benefit of using email to send photos. No compression. Do some mobile email clients have a resize option? I've only ever used the gmail app.

24. Eug

Eug Lifer

iOS has had this for just about forever. On ICS I don't get this resize option in Gmail or Yahoo Mail. It's really annoying. Most grandmas don't appreciate receiving images that are 3xxxX2xxx or whatever, and wonder why when they open their email, they can only see on corner of the picture.

It'd be sort of like having a forum app that can only insert full rez images.

25. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I don't send/recieve a ton of MMS, but I think you guys are forgetting that not everyone has a smart phone. I still have plenty of people with basic messaging/flip phones and so MMS is just important enough to be a deal breaker.