Finally got that 100k job!

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
..just kidding.

Well, I did get a job. I'm currently doing co-op this semester. I'm a sophomore level engineer (this means i've barely skimmed engineering). I'm sitting at my desk. I have nothing to do. How can I make myself useful? All I've done so far is remove bolts. Right now we're in the quoting process so there's nothing for me to do besides measure stuff and nef. I rather be doing homework right now :(

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: sdifox
100K is like starting salary in atot.

thats minimum wage.

you have to think of average, tons of kids still in school here so averaging to 100k starting is close, min wage would be an exaggeration.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
..just kidding.

Well, I did get a job. I'm currently doing co-op this semester. I'm a sophomore level engineer (this means i've barely skimmed engineering). I'm sitting at my desk. I have nothing to do. How can I make myself useful? All I've done so far is remove bolts. Right now we're in the quoting process so there's nothing for me to do besides measure stuff and nef. I rather be doing homework right now :(

welcome to your first co-op. I was lucky enough to get a first coop where I actually got to do useful stuff (firmware engineer), but I ended up wanting to do something more math related (I just wanted to do hw by the time I left). ANyways, just do your job and always try to challenge yourself. Try not to nef all day because they do notice. Keep yourself busy by offering assistance to others. By doing so, you could be able to work on things that you have not learned in school yet.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
I'm sitting at my desk. I have nothing to do. How can I make myself useful? ... and nef.

sounds like you are off to a great start!!! :thumbsup:

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Ah, yes, the classic co-op/intern with nothing to do. Sucks, doesn't it?

I was lucky enough to get a summer internship after my freshman year of college. I was also lucky enogh to spend my first two summer programming, so there wasn't a lot of sitting around with nothing to do because I could just be handed a project and go off on my own without needing a lot of help or attention from the "real" engineers.

I did internships with AT&T, Lucent, Bell Labs, Motorola, and Intel. I saw lots of interns with nothing to do, and I was one of them when at Motorola! It sucks, but that's the way it is. Some places are better than others, and some bosses are better than others.

Suck it up and collect your check and realize that after the first one is under your belt, you'll get a lot more and better offers because you have experience on your resume. Also, when you finally do decide to leave school for the $100K job, you'll have some experience on your resume that most of your classmates don't.

Good luck!!

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
I spent time learning relevant technologies / tools and even finding things in the framework that needed improvement on my own. Ended up doing a project that I came up with and it turned out really well, got some recognition for it.

Alright, not 100% of the time was spent being a busy bee, lol.

I care little about 100k though, go for something challenging/interesting/worthwhile for more than just making the shareholders more $$.

SoundTheSurrender

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Start talking to co-workers and get feedback. Ask them what they did to get where they are. People love talking about themselves. This also shows you're interested.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I'd rather tackle a hundred engineering problems than sit around doing nothing. Should have brought my circuits book. I feel like a bum right now :( I don't deserve the money.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I'd rather tackle a hundred engineering problems than sit around doing nothing. Should have brought my circuits book. I feel like a bum right now :( I don't deserve the money.

That's just how it is. It really only gets slightly better. Best advice I can give you is to try to find a project that is going on at work and try to get your self in it. For future reference, when you interview for a co-op next time, ask what you will be doing (reading the job description is never enough). If they they mention the actual projects you will be working on, that could be a good experience, however, if they just mention tasks that would be assigned ("oh....you will be testing for these parameters"...."you could just be working on Autocad"...etc), it could be a sign to look elsewhere.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Show your engineering wit and pull MIT style pranks on the regular employees :D

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
I made 70k yesterday through online stocks... And I don't even know how stocks work!