Finally got serious about it! (building my first computer...)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Walleye
Originally posted by: sobriquet
Originally posted by: CheapArse
you live in san deigo??? what part?

Poway... (*braces for everyone laughing*)

Haw haw! Just kidding. I live in Rancho Penasquitos, pretty damn close.

oh.. you guys have Bucky's of Boston... i used to go there... good ice cream... we aint got nothing good like that...

Yeah, but you've got the farmer's market. That's pretty much the only reason I ever go to Poway.

Joony

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Hard drives and DVD/CD-RW drives along with DDR memory are ocassional hot deals from your local Office Max and Best Buy. Office Max sometimes even have free 256mb PC2100 DDR deals! Save some money!

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: CheapArse
you live in san deigo??? what part?

Poway... (*braces for everyone laughing*)

Haw haw! Just kidding. I live in Rancho Penasquitos, pretty damn close.

oh.. you guys have Bucky's of Boston... i used to go there... good ice cream... we aint got nothing good like that...

Yeah, but you've got the farmer's market. That's pretty much the only reason I ever go to Poway.

never been there :p

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Joony
Hard drives and DVD/CD-RW drives along with DDR memory are ocassional hot deals from your local Office Max and Best Buy. Office Max sometimes even have free 256mb PC2100 DDR deals! Save some money!

yeah, but in the next 10 days?

and i dont have a clue where an officemax is in san diego...

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002

AFAIK, the closest OfficeMax is in Mission Viejo. ~50 miles away from me.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002

AFAIK, the closest OfficeMax is in Mission Viejo. ~50 miles away from me.

oy veh :p

i think i'll stick to best buy, or newegg, or frys... gotta be able to find something in those 3...

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yeah, but 15 days :( i need time to aquire components...

what kind of comp are you running now? Have any ddr memory laying around? Got a friend nearby with the memory. Thats all you really need to mess around with parts. then just use your old harddrive and other components (vid card, PS, cdrom, ect assuming its not proprietary) and you can be playing with a psudo new computer :)

building comps isn't really half as hard as it seems. It's just plugging stuff in. Plug and play more or less has taken much of the annoyance factor out of it. Just remeber if a cable doesnt fit easily don't force it. And when plugging things in a nice little click can usually be felt if it fits right.:)

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Joeyman
yeah, but 15 days :( i need time to aquire components...

what kind of comp are you running now? Have any ddr memory laying around? Got a friend nearby with the memory. Thats all you really need to mess around with parts. then just use your old harddrive and other components (vid card, PS, cdrom, ect assuming its not proprietary) and you can be playing with a psudo new computer :)

building comps isn't really half as hard as it seems. It's just plugging stuff in. Plug and play more or less has taken much of the annoyance factor out of it. Just remeber if a cable doesnt fit easily don't force it. And when plugging things in a nice little click can usually be felt if it fits right.:)

i dont have parts laying around. my current computer is a Dell, and uses RD RAM. All other computers in my house use SD RAM. so i'll be buying everything new. (not a big deal to me...)

oh well. it's okay, i can get some decent deals right now. just not great...

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
My case

400watt power supply, thick panels(would be very quiet if I did not have 5 fans including a delta inside it now),screwless, and it even has an exhaust fan for the CPU