finally got my hands on a PS5 but BB screwed me...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Finally broke down and decide to buy a PS5 (digital). Followed a few of the known accounts on Twitter and within 4 hours was able to get a working link on BB.com.
However, in my panic clicking to make sure I didn't lose it, I didn't notice that by default BB adds on 2 years warranty plan for $80. Which is smart, but awfully crappy of them.
So now when I go pick up the unit on Friday I'm going to have to actually argue with them about removing that warranty BS. Not too happy about that.

That being said, I am pretty excited to get the PS5 and plug it in for the weekend. Now I need to figure out what "showcase" game to get...

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I have bought a switch a couple of weeks ago and Series X at launch at BB and the extra warranty was an extra button that needed to be pushed. Are you sure they added it by default? Seems odd.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I have bought a switch a couple of weeks ago and Series X at launch at BB and the extra warranty was an extra button that needed to be pushed. Are you sure they added it by default? Seems odd.

I mean I guess I could have clicked it? But I was pretty efficient (and admittedly quick) with my clicking as I knew I had a tight window.
That being said, I do hope they allow me to remove that.

Reactions: killster1

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I mean I guess I could have clicked it? But I was pretty efficient (and admittedly quick) with my clicking as I knew I had a tight window.
That being said, I do hope they allow me to remove that.
You can call BB at 1 (888) 237-8289, or you can chat if you prefer.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Actually, this thread got me thinking and I logged in and was able to just cancel that portion of my order as the two items were itemized seperatedly.
So I take back 50% of this post... in the end I GOT A PS5!!!!

Now what game(s) do I need???
Nice.

Did you have a PS4 and were able to play those games? If not, I would recommend starting there since there really aren't that many PS5 exclusives so far. To name a few off the top of my head:
- Spiderman
- Spiderman: Miles Morales
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- The Last of Us (Part 1 and Part 2)
- God of War
- Demon Souls
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Doom Eternal
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Death Stranding

A lot of these had PS4 Pro support, so with a PS5 you'd be able to take advantage of higher FPS and/or resolution, but most of these games are PS4 titles and do not leverage the full capabilities of the PS5, except for Spiderman: Miles Morales (arguable).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Nice.

Did you have a PS4 and were able to play those games? If not, I would recommend starting there since there really aren't that many PS5 exclusives so far. To name a few off the top of my head:
- Spiderman
- Spiderman: Miles Morales
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- The Last of Us (Part 1 and Part 2)
- God of War
- Demon Souls
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Doom Eternal
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Death Stranding

A lot of these had PS4 Pro support, so with a PS5 you'd be able to take advantage of higher FPS and/or resolution, but most of these games are PS4 titles and do not leverage the full capabilities of the PS5, except for Spiderman: Miles Morales (arguable).

Yeah - had/have a PS4. Haven't played any of those games except RDR2 which sort of bored me. To be honest, I barely play ANY games on the PS but with the PS5 I figured I'd give some another crack. Ghost of Tsushima has really intrigued me and it looks gorgeous on the PS4, so I assume running it on the PS5 is even better? I guess I'm just looking for something for the PS5 to show itself off to me.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've ordered multiple PS5's and XSX's from BB and the warranty is definitely NOT added by default. You either have some settings set or you clicked on something to add it.

Demon's Souls looks pretty damn Amazing on PS5. The scale of the levels is just awesome. It was my first Souls game and I loved everything about it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've ordered multiple PS5's and XSX's from BB and the warranty is definitely NOT added by default. You either have some settings set or you clicked on something to add it.

Demon's Souls looks pretty damn Amazing on PS5. The scale of the levels is just awesome. It was my first Souls game and I loved everything about it.

Yeah I'm sort of flip flopping between that one and GoT.
Once MLB The Show comes out in a few weeks that will take 95% of my time, but obviously won't push the PS5 at all.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Actually, this thread got me thinking and I logged in and was able to just cancel that portion of my order as the two items were itemized seperatedly.
So I take back 50% of this post... in the end I GOT A PS5!!!!

Now what game(s) do I need???

If you never played Ghost of Tsushima on PS4, it's pretty impressive on PS5. Also make sure to select quality mode since they're both 60 fps on PS5. Also don't sleep on Astro's Playroom, which comes with the system. It's a pretty cool pack-in.

Reactions: Homerboy

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Demon's Souls is probably the most impressive game graphically on PS5 though. If you never played the PS3 version I would definitely pick it up. Personally I played the PS3 version a lot (was the whole reason I even bought a PS3) so it's a game I'm going to be patient on and buy when it's $20 to $30, especially since I have a lot I want to play on PS5 once I'm done with Ghost of Tsushima. But it was a really cool game on PS3, I imagine it must really be something on PS5.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
And man, nice to finally get one huh? Buying these things is such a bitch. God, the very first day I started trying to buy a PS5 I got a digital on Best Buy and had gotten deep enough into checkout that they held it for me, but it kept telling me I needed to use a 2FA code and every one they emailed me was timed out by the time I got it, and eventually my PS5 Digital order timed out. Never been so pissed trying to buy something. Ended up ok in the end since I really wanted the disc version more and got one from Walmart a month and a half later (thanks purbeast0 for the direct add to cart links from Walmart!).

Can't wait to see Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart on this system, as well as Dying Light 2.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah I'm sort of flip flopping between that one and GoT.
Once MLB The Show comes out in a few weeks that will take 95% of my time, but obviously won't push the PS5 at all.
They are completely different games.

GoT is also a PS4 game where Demon's Souls is a PS5 game.

Demon's Souls is definitely better looking. I've played through both of the games.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
They are completely different games.

GoT is also a PS4 game where Demon's Souls is a PS5 game.

Demon's Souls is definitely better looking. I've played through both of the games.

I realize they are 2 completely different games and that GoT is a PS4 title (with apparently some gfx improvements and obviously FPS on the PS5) and that DS is a PS5 title from the ground up. I just was REALLY interested in playing GoT from a game aspect, but DS intrigues me from a PS5 "show off" standpoint

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
And man, nice to finally get one huh? Buying these things is such a bitch. God, the very first day I started trying to buy a PS5 I got a digital on Best Buy and had gotten deep enough into checkout that they held it for me, but it kept telling me I needed to use a 2FA code and every one they emailed me was timed out by the time I got it, and eventually my PS5 Digital order timed out. Never been so pissed trying to buy something. Ended up ok in the end since I really wanted the disc version more and got one from Walmart a month and a half later (thanks purbeast0 for the direct add to cart links from Walmart!).

Can't wait to see Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart on this system, as well as Dying Light 2.

Ha! Funny as I ran into the same 2FA issue when I bought the PS5. In fact I had to do it twice and by the time I got through it, it was OOS at my default BB location so I had to switch to a different location.

It wasn't that hard getting once (minus what I just typed above). As I said in the OP, once I decided to pull the trigger it took all of 4 or so hours. Once I saw what I could sell my PS4 1TB Slim for, I figured it was worth throwing a little money in and getting the upgrade.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I realize they are 2 completely different games and that GoT is a PS4 title (with apparently some gfx improvements and obviously FPS on the PS5) and that DS is a PS5 title from the ground up. I just was REALLY interested in playing GoT from a game aspect, but DS intrigues me from a PS5 "show off" standpoint
Just suck it up and get both lol.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Ha! Funny as I ran into the same 2FA issue when I bought the PS5. In fact I had to do it twice and by the time I got through it, it was OOS at my default BB location so I had to switch to a different location.

It wasn't that hard getting once (minus what I just typed above). As I said in the OP, once I decided to pull the trigger it took all of 4 or so hours. Once I saw what I could sell my PS4 1TB Slim for, I figured it was worth throwing a little money in and getting the upgrade.

Hah, what did you get for your PS4 Slim? I managed to sell my 500GB Slim locally for $220, which is exactly what I paid for it in brand new in 2016 so I can't complain renting a PS5 for 4.5 years for free haha. I figured these things would be going for $100 once PS5 launched with PS4 BC, similar to how PS1 values fell off a cliff with the release of the PS2. Oh well, one good point to PS5 being so hard to get if you manage to snag one.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
An extended service plan for a console just seems weird to me.
I burned up my NES, after 8 years of constant use.
Worth it.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Once I saw what I could sell my PS4 1TB Slim for, I figured it was worth throwing a little money in and getting the upgrade.

This is pretty much the reason I have mine too ... got $300 locally for my PS4 Pro. So far it’s been a Ghost of Tsushima machine, which was highly impressive with the 60fps update. Completed and covered most of the world in just under 40 hours. Now there’s nothing I really want to play on it since I already played every PS4 game that interests me, as far as I know. Just waiting patiently for a handful of exclusives coming out this year.

I’m tempted to try Demons Souls but so far every souls game I’ve tried (1, 3 and Bloodborne) has defeated me within a few hours and I’ve lost interest in fighting with it. Seems I don’t have the patience (or skill maybe)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I’m tempted to try Demons Souls but so far every souls game I’ve tried (1, 3 and Bloodborne) has defeated me within a few hours and I’ve lost interest in fighting with it. Seems I don’t have the patience (or skill maybe)

Yeah this is pretty much what I've read and was told in a few other discussions from people that game more than I do. I don't have patience or the temperament to screw around with touchy frustrating games.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Why is that game $100?

I get the deluxe edition for the jump-start bonuses.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Demon's Souls is hard, yes, but it's not unfair. I did not find it frustratingly hard at all. Every time I died, it felt like it was fair and that I just screwed up, with a few exceptions maybe where I got overwhelmed or something of that nature. But generally speaking, it always felt pretty fair.

The one time it was annoying is when you are walking along ledges and you can attack and it makes you jump forward and you fall off the level. That is something that was frustrating, however I believe once I realized if you lock onto the enemies, for some reason, it didn't make you fall off the ledge. I would also attack, walk back a bit, then attack again, instead of just attack attack attack.

I feel like those kinds of games aren't games that I would normally really enjoy too much but something about it drew me in. The atmosphere definitely had something to do with it. They are just so awesome and varied and large scaled. Another thing is that the levels seem so large initially, but once you start playing em over and over, you realize they actually are not that big at all.