Finally got my G.E.D

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Hooray. I'm a little late (i'll soon be 22), but I got my G.E.D. Was surprised at how easy the tests were. I probably didn't even have to study for it like I did. Good thing I did though I suppose, I scored high in all of the tests except science. Highest score you can get on any test is 800. My lowest score was 580...all you need to pass is 410 individually and 450 average for all the tests. Which is getting just over half of all the answers right, not exactly super hard. It costs like $110 just to take all the tests, which kinda sucks.

Anyways, I got it. It's only upwards from here on out, right? ;) - I might be able to get a job I'm interested in now. G.E.D seems to be the bare minimum requirement for any good workplace. But, maybe the G.E.D will have very little impact.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
GED for jobs? I'm not being mean at all BUT the only time I've seen a job require a highschool diploma is when the job task is like "box lifter" or "packager", etc. etc.

get an AA from a Community College =)

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: magomago
GED for jobs? I'm not being mean at all BUT the only time I've seen a job require a highschool diploma is when the job task is like "box lifter" or "packager", etc. etc.

Eh? I know tons of people without college degrees that have serious jobs, more than a few of them have jobs requiring significant technical skill and expertise...

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005

it's required for a lot of government jobs.

warmodder

Nov 1, 2007
While it's certainly possible to get a good job without a college degree, it requires some degree of luck and/or knowing the right people. If you have the opportunity a college degree will open up so many more doors for you though.

Congrats though.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Dirty secret: Piles of blue-collar, low-education jobs pay staggering amounts of money. Trade/union work comes to mind...plumbers, electricians, contractors of all sorts, and dock workers (especially the crane operators) make more money than your average college graduate will starting out.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Congrats ropeadope! :beer:

Just remember, IMHO, forward progression in education is always a positive aspect :)

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Insomniator
crane operators make crazy money.. like 100k+

dangerous tho

Dangerous for the other people on the dock....less dangerous for the operator;)

mrSHEiK124

Lifer
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: Insomniator
crane operators make crazy money.. like 100k+

dangerous tho

Dangerous for the other people on the dock....less dangerous for the operator;)

:laugh:

Congrats OP. All my 1st semester university classes are kicking my ass because I'm a lazy fuck. Enjoy college if you're thinking about it :evil:

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec

Dirty secret: Piles of blue-collar, low-education jobs pay staggering amounts of money. Trade/union work comes to mind...plumbers, electricians, contractors of all sorts, and dock workers (especially the crane operators) make more money than your average college graduate will starting out.

Agreed, sucks that upper-middle class kids who aren't cut out for college go and fail when they could go to technical school, learn something useful, be good at it, and make pretty decent money too.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I got by for 35 years with a GED. Didn't do bad...got into a union apprenticeship early, worked hard all my life. Made good money.
Now, in my mid-50's, I'm going to college to retrain. Certainly sux to have had a career where I consistently made over $30/hour...now I'm training to make $15...:roll:

BUT, that's the way work-comp works...they just have to re-train you, not get you back to your former earning capacity...

I will side with the others who have recommended getting a degree from your local community college. Who knows, you might enjoy learning enough to take it to the next level...a bachelor's degree. The AA/AS degree should have a positive impact on your earning capacity as well. VERY few jobs nowadays only want a HS diploma...even a lot of customer service jobs that I see in the papers are asking for college degrees.

Congrats to ya for taking the first step however. As a GED holder, I know how tough it is to make the choice to do it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: ropeadope
Hooray. I'm a little late (i'll soon be 22), but I got my G.E.D. Was surprised at how easy the tests were. I probably didn't even have to study for it like I did. Good thing I did though I suppose, I scored high in all of the tests except science. Highest score you can get on any test is 800. My lowest score was 580...all you need to pass is 410 individually and 450 average for all the tests. Which is getting just over half of all the answers right, not exactly super hard. It costs like $110 just to take all the tests, which kinda sucks.

Anyways, I got it. It's only upwards from here on out, right? ;) - I might be able to get a job I'm interested in now. G.E.D seems to be the bare minimum requirement for any good workplace. But, maybe the G.E.D will have very little impact.

congrats are in order that for sure!!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I would strongly recommend attending a community college or state college. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just to get an AA or BA/BS. It will open up many more opportunities for you. (And who knows, you might find something you like.)