finally got a contract on a house

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: richardycc
nice! what are those little boxes on the roof?

they are vents, gable vents . to vent the attic. the shadow makes them look like boxes, i guess

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Nice, congrats! Post more pictures :D

What kind of price range does that house run in your part of the country? It looks fairly new.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nice place. Newer, good square footage, big yard. I like it but first thing I would do is plant some trees.

May I ask how much?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
:beer:

I want to own my own house one day. That way I can get an HT setup and blow out the windows with 1970s WW2 movies. ;)

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
:beer:

I want to own my own house one day. That way I can get an HT setup and blow out the windows with 1970s WW2 movies. ;)

That's one of the things I enjoyed most about getting a house, minus the WW2 movies though ;)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: TheToOTaLL
Nice, congrats! Post more pictures :D

What kind of price range does that house run in your part of the country? It looks fairly new.

it was finished in July 2001 , so it is quite new

if it was closer to Kansas City, like within 20 miles, it probably wouldn't be on 3.8 acres and be about $250k , but since it is 40 miles out we get the BIG lot and its $190k. its the top of our housing budget , but it has the perfect layout and doesn't need any work, etc

another kitchen pic

from the east side of the property

looking across the street to the neighbor from the front porch

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Vic
Nice place. Newer, good square footage, big yard. I like it but first thing I would do is plant some trees.

that is what my wife and all of her family said first (they are from Georgia) :D

we'll get her brother (the professional landscaper) to help us plan out where to put the normal trees, the fruit trees and the garden, as well as leaving a spot for a garage/workshop in a few years

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Thats a really nice kitchen. I wish ours wasn't as small, and wasn't an eat-in :(

Personally, I'd hate having to mow that much land, but would love the space.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
wow thats cheap, a house like that will cost around $280k in ok area, $350k in nicer area. Still no where near the prices in CA thou. ;)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i am hoping my oldest daughter will do most of the mowing, we'll see

my wife is a good cook, so i am hoping with a good kitchen, she'll do it more

she gave up a formal dining room, but the kitchen and master bedroom are gigantic, the master bath is huge too

it is in johnson county missouri, the entire county population is under 50,000 :D
kinda rural ;)

jcuadrado

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
190k is awesome...in S. Florida 190k won't get you anything near how new and sweet that crib is...looks like a hell of a lot of total sq. footage..how much if you don't mind me asking.

Good luck...

-JC

winr

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Congrats, I hope you get the house!
Man, acreage is nice, I grew up in the county and still cant get used to how close together houses in the city are.

Oh yeh, adopt me, adopt me.;)

:)

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: richardycc
nice! what are those little boxes on the roof?

they are vents, gable vents . to vent the attic. the shadow makes them look like boxes, i guess

I think he is actually talking about the static roof vents on back of the house. They are basically holes in the roof to allow proper venting of the attic area.

The air goes in through the soffit vents, and naturally rises to the top where the static vents allow the air to vent to the outside.

The static vents serve the purpose of the ridge vent in this illustration.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: FoBoT
we have been house hunting since the end of october
we found one we really like and have spent the last week trying to negotiate the contract
we signed it today! :)

it will roughly double my daily commute to work, but this house would have been ~30-40% more $$ (way above our budget) where we live now

:camera:'s

from the front driveway

front porch

from the backyard

side view

kitchen

downstairs family room

Not to ruin the moment or anything but that looks like a manufactured home. Interior looks nice though.