Finally found some good Outlook backup software

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by Kaido, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Kaido

Kaido Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord

Update: "Remo" works even better: (thanks to hclarkjr)

Edit: Do a search for "remo outlook" on google and you'll find it, for some reason it's blocked on the forum. Anyone know why?

"Outlook Backup Assistant" from Dextronet:

http://www.dextronet.com/outlook-backup-assistant

$30 for home, $50 for business. The website design is a bit cheesy, but the software does the job. I haven't really found anything else that I really like for transferring non-Exchange Outlook accounts over to new machines or for reformats, and it's a real pain to do it manually, especially between different versions.

I did a full backup & restore in demo mode (in this case, backed up a 3-gig Outlook 2007 account and restored it to a new Outlook 2010 install on another computer). I had to create the user account in Outlook first and then import, then manually move the folders into the main folder after importing, but it went pretty smoothly other than that (there might have been a checkbox to put it all in the default Personal Folder/Mailbox, but I just did it all on automatic). Otherwise it's the usual garbage of PST/OST export, NS2k backup, manually doing all the other bits & pieces that don't properly export like the contact groups, etc., so this is awesome!

Not sure if anyone else has found something better, if so, please chime in!

#1 Kaido, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Finally found good Forum Date
    Finally found a good network search replacement for Windows 7 Software for Windows Jul 16, 2013
    Finally found a Wii! Software for Windows Feb 6, 2007
    Finally found a decent PDF converter Software for Windows Nov 7, 2005
    I finally found out where all my space went! w00t! Software for Windows Aug 1, 2003
    IE5 getting ActiveX errors under NT? I finally found the solution..... Software for Windows Nov 1, 2000

3. pauldun170

pauldun170 Diamond Member

For 2007, I just used Microsofts pst back up tool.
    Backs up everything to where ever you want when you exit Outlook. Unfortunately 2010 isn't compatible

4. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

do search for remo outlook backup and migrate, it works great for me

#3 hclarkjr, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. NickelPlate

NickelPlate Senior member

Is it even needed? All I've ever done is just backup my .pst file which is dirt simple. Been working that way for years.

6. Kaido

Yeah, depending. I work with Outlook 2000 to 2010 on XP to 8. Backing up all user data and doing migrations can get tricky - emails, sub-folders, multiple accounts until one profile, multiple profiles, NK2 auto-complete data files, PST's, OST's, yada yada yada. And sometimes you get situations where stuff like contact groups don't export properly and you have to do it manually.

Still haven't found what I'd call the "perfect" tool, but this is pretty handy! I'm going to check out that Remo tool hclarkjr recommended next time too.

7. Pardus

Pardus Diamond Member

delete

#6 Pardus, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. Kaido

I just tried Remo yesterday, worked even better, thanks for the heads up! Updated the OP, although the link is blocked for some reason (is there some sketchy reason behind that?).

9. Charlie98

Charlie98 Diamond Member

That's the truth... when I migrated from XP/OE to W7/O'03 it was a trainwreck... :rolleyes:

10. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

i noticed that too when i posted about remo too, would not let me post link for it

11. ringtail

ringtail Senior member

tool built into Outlook 2013 works fine for me