Finally considering a MOBO/CPU/RAM upgrade, looking for input

BroteManBill

Dec 12, 2016
Hey, currently running an Intel 3770k@4.3ghz - Sabertooth Z77 MOBO - 16 gigs of ram (dunno specs off the top of my head)

I typically upgrade one batch of components a year, last year I installed a GTX 1080. Still seeing great performance from all games.

However, when I try to stream newer games like Titanfall 2 or Battlefront, I get a massive frame drop and lots of hiccuping using XSplit Broadcaster. I overclocked from the base 3.5 to 4.3, but that's as high as I could get and I don't think I really see any performance difference. Beyond 4.3 apps crash or I quickly BSOD. Bios are latest on the MOBO. I feel like I should be able to hit higher targets as I'm only sitting at 60c but I dunno.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade due to this. I'm thinking of holding off for the 7700k, some new Z270 Asus Mobo, and snagging 16GB of higher end DDR4 when it's all available. Anything wrong with the way I'm thinking about this? Anything else I should look at? Not really a fan of AMD.

Mar 10, 2006
Hey, currently running an Intel 3770k@4.3ghz - Sabertooth Z77 MOBO - 16 gigs of ram (dunno specs off the top of my head)

I typically upgrade one batch of components a year, last year I installed a GTX 1080. Still seeing great performance from all games.

However, when I try to stream newer games like Titanfall 2 or Battlefront, I get a massive frame drop and lots of hiccuping using XSplit Broadcaster. I overclocked from the base 3.5 to 4.3, but that's as high as I could get and I don't think I really see any performance difference. Beyond 4.3 apps crash or I quickly BSOD. Bios are latest on the MOBO. I feel like I should be able to hit higher targets as I'm only sitting at 60c but I dunno.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade due to this. I'm thinking of holding off for the 7700k, some new Z270 Asus Mobo, and snagging 16GB of higher end DDR4 when it's all available. Anything wrong with the way I'm thinking about this? Anything else I should look at? Not really a fan of AMD.

Sounds like a great plan. 7700K should offer better performance/clock than your Ivy Bridge and clock better, too.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
You can do that, but according to HardOCP's test (see other thread) a 6700K is just as fast as the 7700K will be and uses only 10 more watts under load.

So if you don't want to wait, you can get a 6700K and a motherboard that already has the bugs worked out, without any new-hardware glitches like needing BIOS upgrades.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
If you're planning to stream games isn't it better to go for more cores? As games are starting to use more CPU resources. Maybe a i7 6800k?

t2_intel.png

starwars_intel.jpg

Both games you mentioned uses 8 threads.

Reactions: BroteManBill

BroteManBill

Dec 12, 2016
Maybe, this is the kind of input I was really looking for. That video was pretty great, I'll start looking into what my options are for an 8 core hyper threaded proc.

EDIT - Kay, so I purchased the 6800k, 32gigs of 3333 clocked DDR4, and the Asus Rampage V Edition 10. May my wallet have a swift recovery.

Last edited:

dead_smiley

Jun 13, 2016
Let us know how it works. I am interested in this as well since I just built a scrapyard PC out of eBay parts for cheap. E5-1650, Gigbyte X79-UD3, 16GB DDR3-2400, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1070, etc. Spent more on the GPU than the rest of the system. Ha!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think at this point the only option is to wait for Zen. Its the only chip that makes sense anymore. You already bought a 6800K though and Its a good CPU, so hopefully it works for what you need. I can't understand why someone would suggest buying an intel quad at this point and not waiting for Zen, especially if you need more cores/threads.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I think at this point the only option is to wait for Zen. Its the only chip that makes sense anymore. You already bought a 6800K though and Its a good CPU, so hopefully it works for what you need. I can't understand why someone would suggest buying an intel quad at this point and not waiting for Zen, especially if you need more cores/threads.

This. Exactly for this usage profile and not many fit this high core usage. So many years after 3770 not at least mentioning zen in q1 is just bad advice. And not okey imo.

BroteManBill

Dec 12, 2016
I wouldn't have entertained any AMD parts anyway tbh. The system is together and doing exactly what I needed it to at stock speeds. I can stream, record to disk, and run Battlefront totally maxed at above 60 fps with no stuttering.

Just personal experience has forever tainted AMD in my eyes and I've never had any issues with Intel. I don't use Radeon cards either. Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if the cash were an issue though.

wingman04

May 12, 2016
I wouldn't have entertained any AMD parts anyway tbh. The system is together and doing exactly what I needed it to at stock speeds. I can stream, record to disk, and run Battlefront totally maxed at above 60 fps with no stuttering.

Just personal experience has forever tainted AMD in my eyes and I've never had any issues with Intel. I don't use Radeon cards either. Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if the cash were an issue though.
I'm with you man, Intel and Nvidia all the way, they are superior products.:)

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Personally I think you'd have been better off with a 6-8 core Intel chip. If the 3770k struggled with what you wanted to do and the 6800k isn't, simply knowing the performance delta between the two dictates that it won't be long before run into the same issue again, once games start getting a bit more demanding.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Personally I think you'd have been better off with a 6-8 core Intel chip. If the 3770k struggled with what you wanted to do and the 6800k isn't, simply knowing the performance delta between the two dictates that it won't be long before run into the same issue again, once games start getting a bit more demanding.

This. Buy a hexa core. I had a 5930K and a second box that I constantly rebuilt to try out new parts. Ended up scrapping that and moving over to the 5930K exclusively. Flinches at nothing, plenty of grunt that will last likely outlast the mobo. An extra few hundred over the lifetime of a box is nothing.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Sounds like a great plan. 7700K should offer better performance/clock than your Ivy Bridge and clock better, too.
That's honestly not a good option for anyone that actually cares about getting the best value for their money.

You can get a 6700k and a z170 for easily at least a $100 less than a 7700k and z270. You also don't have to worry about bugs.

Another 4 core won't be ideal for streaming either.

@ OP

Having 6 or more cores would really be beneficial to streaming CPU intensive games like BF1. It would be a much better upgrade path, than another 4 core imo.

If you don't need to upgrade right now, you should definitely consider waiting on Zen. You could probably get a 6 core, assuming it exists, and a board for about $400. If not, I expect there to be an 8 core in the $400 range, which would put the price tag at about $500-550, for a MB and CPU.

Last edited:

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999

I'm VERY happy with my new Mini-ITX rig... see below... Battlefield 1 looks and runs AMAZING....

Aug 11, 2008
Cant you offload the streaming to the gpu?? Pretty sure nVidia shadow play can livestream to twitch, and I think AMD has a similar program.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Build a second pc with a capture card just for streaming. It will be cheaper and your gaming PC will run better and you can upgrade when you want with better planning.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe, this is the kind of input I was really looking for. That video was pretty great, I'll start looking into what my options are for an 8 core hyper threaded proc.

EDIT - Kay, so I purchased the 6800k, 32gigs of 3333 clocked DDR4, and the Asus Rampage V Edition 10. May my wallet have a swift recovery.

Everyone look above. People are talking like this guy is still interested in an upgrade. He said, years and years ago, that he already bought the 6800K. Recommending things now is pointless.