"Finally, AMD claims it has captured 40 per cent of the US notebook market, quoting figures from PC Data. "

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That figure seems heavily padded.........

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Maybe "40% of the market" is based on the number of notebook models that incorporate an AMD CPU? Then that sounds more possible.

I heavily doubt that's in terms of raw sales, though.

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
The Athlon4 is just starting to appear in notebooks. It'll be a while before they're up to 40%. Not saying it wont happen, it just hasn't happened yet.

daddyo

Oct 9, 1999
A lot of compaq laptops have the K6/K6-2 in them, at least ones from a year or two ago. I'm not sure about HP, but compaq certainly is a leader in the notebook market.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< A lot of compaq laptops have the K6/K6-2 in them, at least ones from a year or two ago. >>

Please stop reminding us !!!! Heh ;)

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
Thats great. Go AMD.

I also like Intel but competition is a very good thing for us consumers.

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Heat output/power consumption are the enemies of a good laptop....

I can't see AMD selling that many CPUs to laptops....

I guess if you include all the K6s...those work pretty well I suppose...but I don't know anyone that actually has a Laptop with a K6...

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
Ahh yes...I forgot about the .18um K6s....I guess they would be nice and cool.
And probably better than a celeron, at least you get 100Mhz RAM.

Nikepete

Nov 21, 1999
This is the % of the retail market. Not retail+OEM. Major chunks of the notebook market are controlled by OEM suppliers like Dell who only provides Intel CPU. Corporates don't buy retail you know that.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
The Durons run fairly cool too I thought...probably more so with the Power Now! thing. I have seen quite a few lappys in the Best Buy flyers with Duron's in them...

majewski9

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2001
The Palomino runs cooler than you guys are giving credit! So forget any anti AMD heat propaganda.

I dont know if AMD has 40% of the notebook market! I knowthat a lot of the major manufacturers have yet to add an Athlon 4 line. If I had to buy a notebook I definately get an Athlon 4! Just based on the benches.

As long as they can ramp uip speed and stay far ahead of the tualatins then the'll capture market. AMD is going to be releasing 1.2 ghz and then 1.3 and 1.4 Athlon4's for notebooks. Making them the speed kings until P4 hits Notebooks!

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000

<< And probably better than a celeron, at least you get 100Mhz RAM. >>

Mobile Celerons ran at 100 MHz FSB/memory for quite a while.

<< The Durons run fairly cool too I thought. >>

No way in h*ll. :) I don't argue against Morgan, but Sony had a VAIO FX210 model with Spitfire Duron. It sucked battery dry within 30~45 mins for most people. Even Sony claimed "1 hour max" of battery life on their specs.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Insane3d,

Mobile Durons are still in the 45-52W range. Not too good for a laptop. As far as Palomino's, the mobile versions should be in the 40-45W range, which is okay, but again not great for a laptop.

Mike

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Majewski,

That depends on how your'e measuring temps. If you're using current motherboards or even any external temp measurement device, it is far lower than the actual itnernal diode temp. These "temps" are easily 15 to 40C over ambient case temp, even with the best heatsinks. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how hot the core gets inside a palomino based laptop when fully loaded.

Mike

ASK THE COMMUNITY