Finally!...A working Radeon 7xxx bios editor.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

I figured I'd post this in case someone didn't know about it yet and could use it. (like I didn't b4 today)

Its about time, now I no longer need to deal with boost bios throttling, disabling ULPS and using 3rd party software to overclock my 7950's.

Flashed both my cards with no issues whatsoever.

You can edit everything... core and mem clocks, voltages, setting PWR Tune TDP limit and custom fan profiles.

Last edited:

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
well my 7850 is now in my wife's machine, but still, this is pretty sweet. Such a pain running 3rd party software to OC, especially when there are cards like the 7850 and 7950 that beg to be OCed.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Interest wasn't that high :(

Glad you found it and I hope more see it because of your thread, was a great program for me personally.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Interest wasn't that high :(

Glad you found it and I hope more see it because of your thread, was a great program for me personally.
Yeah, I know what you mean.
I was actually surprised that the techpowerup thread wasn't bigger as well as yours.

I guess everyone has owned their cards so long and already have a working overclock routine that nobody is actively searching for info on editing the bios anymore. ..I know I wasn't.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I found this a couple days ago looking forward to flashing this weekend when I have some time.

Lean L

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2009
I found this a week or two ago on a random search. I am very happy that I can finally disable boost (it crashed my card... wtf AMD...) and get rid of afterburner which has its own set of idiosyncrasies.

On a side note, the guy that made RBE... his reasoning for not adding support for the 7 series was that it was super difficult and he had to use a common driver. What is different about this bios editor that it just works?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
That's frickin awesome, disabling ULPS via software doesn't seem to work on my 7850, power level really doesn't do jack which I assume is also a software issue (tried Afterburner, Trixx, GPU Tweak, etc..). Plus the super low clocks is what I think leads to flickering when I play video because it changes clocks a lot by itself. I hope this thing can edit my BIOS, I have some kind of tarded 7850 that doesn't like any other 7850 BIOS, even an updated version of its own.

Sidequestion- identifying VR?

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
I found this a week or two ago on a random search. I am very happy that I can finally disable boost (it crashed my card... wtf AMD...) and get rid of afterburner which has its own set of idiosyncrasies.

On a side note, the guy that made RBE... his reasoning for not adding support for the 7 series was that it was super difficult and he had to use a common driver. What is different about this bios editor that it just works?

I think you will have to post this in the Techpowerup forum since that guy that made it is in that thread unless someone here knows.

Rikard

Apr 25, 2012
Good find! Since I have a button on my card to swap to an alternative bios, I could essentially mess up one of them and still boot by using the other bios, right? Sounds too tempting to ignore...

In addition to making the second bios a 1100 MHz OC by default so that I can OC in Linux, I would like to solve the issue with the idle clocks when running at 75 Hz. If I run my screen at 60 Hz, I get core at 300 MHz and memory at 150 MHz, but if I OC my monitor to 75 Hz I get 500/1250 MHz instead while in idle. (There is a significant difference in temp, noise and power consumption as a result.) Would I be able to change that by #5 in the figure below:
100710_pplay.png

Also, do anybody knows what triggers the switch from #4 to #5? Maybe I could change that instead?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Sadness, my Gigabyte card has a UEFI bios.

Yes that was one of the downsides for me as well.

I will continue to track it and hope that either he adds support for UEFI or another program automates the process because I do not do hex.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Flash a non-uefi and edited bios. You have a backup bios if you do it wrong.

This!

Good find! Since I have a button on my card to swap to an alternative bios, I could essentially mess up one of them and still boot by using the other bios, right? Sounds too tempting to ignore...

In addition to making the second bios a 1100 MHz OC by default so that I can OC in Linux, I would like to solve the issue with the idle clocks when running at 75 Hz. If I run my screen at 60 Hz, I get core at 300 MHz and memory at 150 MHz, but if I OC my monitor to 75 Hz I get 500/1250 MHz instead while in idle. (There is a significant difference in temp, noise and power consumption as a result.) Would I be able to change that by #5 in the figure below:
100710_pplay.png

Also, do anybody knows what triggers the switch from #4 to #5? Maybe I could change that instead?

That sounds about right.

Have you tried setting it to 75hz then downclocking the card with software first?

I would do this before flashing just to make sure there is no abnormal behaviour at the lower clocks and that refresh rate.