Question **FINAL UPDATE!** "New" CPU, powers on then off

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I'm running a MSI P67A GD-80 Rev.3 with 16GB ram, 5850 video card, a 1 and 2TB HDD, and 2 DVD R/W's.
I previously had an i5 2500K in it and it ran fine. I decided to "upgrade" to an i7 3700.
After I installed it and hit the power button, the system powered on (ie lights on motherboard, fans spinning), ran for about 5 seconds, turned itself off, the started again, into a loop. Nothing ever showed up on the screen.
Here's what I've tried so far:
Removed MB from case and tried to bench test it, ensure everything was seated (three times), ensured the CPU was in correctly, ensured a good connection between the CPU and heatsink, replaced the PSU with a larger (100W Corsair) one.
I tried a different CPU, another i7 3700, and got the same results.
Am I missing something here?
Thanks.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Yes, easily

If anything that's overkill. I have a build that's almost certainly a bit more power hungry and 650W is plenty for it. A lot of people recommended a lot more PSU than you really need. Been that way forever it seems. I'd rather spend money on a better brand/build/80+ Gold than watts after a certain point. I like Seasonic and they are usually my go to as well.

Reactions: Tullphan

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I like Seasonic as well, although several years ago I Wass a beta tester for Cooler Master and received both a 500 and 1000W for testing that I got to keep.
I'm not sure of their (Cooler Master) quality, but they were both 80+ Gold.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I like Seasonic as well, although several years ago I Wass a beta tester for Cooler Master and received both a 500 and 1000W for testing that I got to keep.
I'm not sure of their (Cooler Master) quality, but they were both 80+ Gold.

I had a Cooler Master before I got this Seasonic and lasted a long time and didn't kill anything, so that's good. It lasted at least 10 years I want to say. Eventually though when stress testing or running a demanding game it would sometimes shutdown on its own, and I had a pretty good idea what was going on given the age of it.

Did you get to try the old CPU and check the BIOS? I'm curious as to whether that was it or not.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Well, the only site where I could find that bios is giving me an internal service error when I tried to download it
I put the old cpu in it and it’s doing the same thing now! :mad:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Well, the only site where I could find that bios is giving me an internal service error when I tried to download it
I put the old cpu in it and it’s doing the same thing now! :mad:

Where did you try to download it from? MSI I hope? This is what I found for that board. I hope you didn't just search for that BIOS and download anywhere else. As for the 2500k doing the same thing, I have no idea what that's about. Its doing the same thing as the 3700 was?

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Where did you try to download it from? MSI I hope? This is what I found for that board. I hope you didn't just search for that BIOS and download anywhere else. As for the 2500k doing the same thing, I have no idea what that's about. Its doing the same thing as the 3700 was?
Originally I was looking on another site, but finally found and downloaded the bios update on MSI's site.
I'm completely stumped over this. I guess this is what I get for wanting a few extra nano seconds of performance.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Originally I was looking on another site, but finally found and downloaded the bios update on MSI's site.
I'm completely stumped over this. I guess this is what I get for wanting a few extra nano seconds of performance.

I don't blame you. a 2500k to a 3700 is a solid upgrade. Those extra threads matter these days. That and the 3700 is one cool CPU compared to what else is out there. It's TDP is/was a mere 77W. That 2500k was rated for 95W.

I would try clearing the CMOS. Take the battery out too just for good measure. I see confliction information as to where there is a clear CMOS button on the back or whether there is a jumper on the board.

If you want a refresher this youtube video is pretty good and succinct.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Today I tried unhooking everything from the PC except for the mouse and video cards after clearing the cos on both the back of the pc and on the motherboard...still does the same thing.

noeticitservices

Jun 24, 2022
This is a common issue that can be caused by incorrect or outdated BIOS settings. If you're unable to update your BIOS, then your CPU may not be able to detect and use the latest updates from the motherboard manufacturer. This can lead to instability and sporadic power loss.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
**UPDATE**
I took the motherboard out of the case and unhooked everything except for video, keyboard, and one stick of memory.
It seems that there was only one USB port on the back of the motherboard that recognized the keyboard. It booted up to the bios, but I couldn’t find a USB port to recognize the USB stick.
It’s definitely the bios that needs updating, but I don’t know how with no ports to recognize the stick with the updated bios on it.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
**UPDATE #2**
I put the system back together. I found a small (8gb) flash drive and copied the contents of the zipped bios file to the thumb drive (only one file).
I got into the bios and went to the “M-Flash” section. I chose the option to flash from a uefi(?) device. It opened a pop up window that showed my option. I selected it but received an error message that the file wasn’t found in the root of the device.
Ideas??

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah, I noticed that with my original thumb drive, a 128gb. When I went to format it it showed exfat32. A little investigating told me I had too big a thumb drive. I scrounged around and found a 8gb and formatted it in fat32.

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Well, my manual didn’t have anything specific about flashing the bios.
I did read your link and tried renaming it to “MSI.Rom”, to no avail. I even renamed the usb stick to the name of the flash file, again, to no avail.
At least this time, when I choose the “select the UEFI to flash”, I get a pop up window that shows “FS0: Sandisk Cruzer 7.01”, but when I hit the <enter> key, another message popped up showing “There isn’t any bios in this USB key (root folder) - please copy bios file to this USB key (root folder).