Final report on Flint water crisis: The state is responsible

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The Governor's own report indicts his own administration. Snyder poisons the citizens of Flint while he and other Republicans tried to blame the EPA. I still want to know why state resources were used to hire Snyder a PR firm.

Primary responsibility for the Flint water crisis lies with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, according to the final report of a governor-appointed task force examining the city's water woes

The 62-page report chides the DEQ's handling of the crisis, and knocks the ongoing effort of state officials to place blame for the crisis at multiple levels of government

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/03/state_responsible_for_flint_wa.html

Feb 4, 2009
Lets be fair there was a huge failure at the EPA too. Both State Gov & EPAs clearly measured response is inexcusable.
For note
Its the States job to ensure the water is clean.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Whew I was worried the EPA under a Democrat president may have some blame. So glad we were able to avoid that and pile this at the feet of Republicans. Because lets be honest and say that is the most important matter in this poisoning of a water supply. Which political party is the winner and which is the loser!

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
Whew I was worried the EPA under a Democrat president may have some blame. So glad we were able to avoid that and pile this at the feet of Republicans. Because lets be honest and say that is the most important matter in this poisoning of a water supply. Which political party is the winner and which is the loser!

The people of flint are the losers. No one is the winner. :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I thought the whole point of having an EPA was they would tear into government officials when other agencies were too scared.

What happened?

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
I would had never guessed this by the amount of political grandstanding over this fuckup in govt.

It's nothing about politics, but about the human lives that have been devastated by this horrific catastrophe.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I find the Repubs side of this argument sooo disingenuous. Get it. They are pissed and accusing the EPA of doing exactly what they want them to do, which is exactly nothing.

Last edited:

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
If we were to ask the people of Flint, I would dare say that this is a crisis that is above politics.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Snyder said that Detroit, after being informed of the Flint council vote, sent a "letter of termination" of water service. Detroit sent a letter giving Flint one year on its existing contract, but that didn't mean Flint couldn't get water from Detroit after that date. In fact, there was a flurry of negotiations between Detroit and Flint to sign a new contract that would carry Flint through until it could connect to the under-construction pipeline. That new contract was going to cost Flint more money.

What was the additional price Detroit placed on clean water?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
At its core about sacrificing the people of Flint to save money.

When will there be accountability??

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
The state could have intervened between the municipality problems between Flint and Detroit for sure.

The clean water was available per se, its just that Detroit was being dumb.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I find the Repubs side of this argument sooo disingenuous. Get it. They are pissed and accusing the EPA of doing exactly what they want them to do, which is exactly nothing.

Hell, the EPA is two of the five government departments that Cruz wants to eliminate entirely.

Feb 16, 2005
force all the politicians in MI and their children drink the water from Flint, see how fast it's rectified. If it's good enough for the residents and their children it's good enough for those fucktards in office.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Their argument is bullshit anyway. It's not the EPA's job to call out State govts in the Media-

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...-stayed-silent-flints-tainted-water/78719620/

It's also part of Repub policy that cheaper is better when it comes to the plebes.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/columnists/ph-cc-zirpoli-032316-20160323-column.html

Few people understand that municipal water, at its best, is a highly processed product. I'm lucky to have some of the best-

http://www.denverwater.org/

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Lets be fair there was a huge failure at the EPA too. Both State Gov & EPAs clearly measured response is inexcusable.
For note
Its the States job to ensure the water is clean.

And NO state is capable of EVER doing that. The have ALWAYS been playing catch up.....all throughout history.

Heck Chlorine, the vary thing that currently saves our asses and prevent MILLIONS of deaths originated by some guy POISING the city water as an experiment!

If you are really curious on the subject (as you should be) do yourself a favor and check out Frontline Poised Water
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/poisonedwaters/

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
force all the politicians in MI and their children drink the water from Flint, see how fast it's rectified. If it's good enough for the residents and their children it's good enough for those fucktards in office.

I agree, although I'm not sure if innocent family members should be punished, it's the only way to get a proper result.

There has to be consequences for those that did the crime. Without consequences, NOTHING ever changes.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Their argument is bullshit anyway. It's not the EPA's job to call out State govts in the Media-

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...-stayed-silent-flints-tainted-water/78719620/

It's also part of Repub policy that cheaper is better when it comes to the plebes.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/columnists/ph-cc-zirpoli-032316-20160323-column.html

Few people understand that municipal water, at its best, is a highly processed product. I'm lucky to have some of the best-

http://www.denverwater.org/

Also, wasn't Flint one of those out of control financially towns that the Republican state house took control of?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Also, wasn't Flint one of those out of control financially towns that the Republican state house took control of?

Yes and the report sites that the people the governor appointed are directly responsible for many of the bad decisions that were made. It is precisely those appointments by the governor and the overall republican strategy of cutting costs above all else that this matter has become partisan.

Hopefully things will be fixed and families will receive the support they need now and in the future when the negative health affects show themselves.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Correct. That wasn't until absolutely necessary, until after Flint exhausted all their resources attempting to maintain equilibrium.

It's those job creatin' Republicans stringing everybody along until Chop! somebody not them takes the axe, one way or another. Now that it's reaching the Repub base those folks are looking for somebody to save them from where their adopted belief system has put them. They don't understand that last part just yet so we have Trumpism as a way of lashing out in Denial. They're having trouble reasoning their way out of beliefs they didn't reason their way into.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Correct. That wasn't until absolutely necessary, until after Flint exhausted all their resources attempting to maintain equilibrium.

It's those job creatin' Republicans stringing everybody along until Chop! somebody not them takes the axe, one way or another. Now that it's reaching the Repub base those folks are looking for somebody to save them from where their adopted belief system has put them. They don't understand that last part just yet so we have Trumpism as a way of lashing out in Denial. They're having trouble reasoning their way out of beliefs they didn't reason their way into.

Lmfao what!?

Some people just can't get a grasp of the economy just like some people can't code and some people can't operate heavy machinery or learn another language.

Last edited: