Final NWN1 Update Posted

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Wow I didn't even realize they were still updating. I havent installed NWN1 since NWN2 came out.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Would NWN2 Gold or NWN Diamond be a better buy for me? I have NWN original and completed the OC in it which I really liked. I played a little bit through HoTU but it turned into a boring dungeon crawler really fast. I'm not sure if the style changed later in the campaign but it was too hack and slash for my tastes.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
I guess its time to re-install my Diamond Edition. I could never get past the original area cause of the graphics ( I bought it circa 2006-2007 ) but I see some really nice screens for the later content.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just a heads up, the OC (the original campaign) in NWN is not up to Bioware standards. You may want to skip it and start off with Shadows of Undertide (which shares the same storyline as Hordes of the Underdark). Shadows of Undertide and Hordes of the Underdark do not have the same hero / storyline as the OC.

Alternatively, the following free story driven single player modules for NWN1 are better than many of the commercial RPGs that I have played:

Tales of Arterra Series

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Just a heads up, the OC (the original campaign) in NWN is not up to Bioware standards. You may want to skip it and start off with Shadows of Undertide (which shares the same storyline as Hordes of the Underdark). Shadows of Undertide and Hordes of the Underdark do not have the same hero / storyline as the OC.

Alternatively, the following free story driven single player modules for NWN1 are better than many of the commercial RPGs that I have played:

Tales of Arterra Series

I haven't played Tales of Arterra yet, but an Ancient Heart 1&2 are both really good. Darkness of Daggerfall is good too. NWN has a staggering number of modules, suiting any taste or style. Its why its such a great game.

Edit - Rose of Eternity, A Hunt Through the Dark, Adam Miller's mods, Aielund Saga . . .

NWN2, sadly, doesn't have that level of support yet. Obsidian has worked hard on the game, but Atari isn't run by the smartest of individuals . . .

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I just bought Diamond last week after playing the OC back in 03? It looks really good IMO for a D&D rpg game. I'm not fond of the OC either..I'll take your advice and skip it. I usually end up playing through modules that players have built b/c they are shorter and my attention span isn't that long :)

I did play through some of the Dreamcatcher and had a blast in Against the Giants (revisted this one since I used to pnp play it 25 years ago)

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.ph...=Modules.Detail&id=975 and requires only the OC to play.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.ph...=Modules.Detail&id=763 there's also #2, and #3.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Bump for the one of the best games ever made!

I spent countless hours on the near endless supply of player-made content. I never got around to playing Wyvern Crown of Cormyr, but seeing this update has me longing for it again. NWN was the youtube equivalent of video games.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
NWN is testiment that when you open up tool content to the gaming community and it is done right you get the rare instance of longevity much like Morrowind and even Thief though to a lesser degree.

It would be interesting to know the numbers of sales for NWN1 just in 2007 alone.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Ultralight
NWN is testiment that when you open up tool content to the gaming community and it is done right you get the rare instance of longevity much like Morrowind and even Thief though to a lesser degree.

It would be interesting to know the numbers of sales for NWN1 just in 2007 alone.

Many people have bought the game more than once. I purchased the original game, plus each expansion individually at their release. However, installing them became too much of a pain the butt and I eventually bought the Platinum Edition to ease installation. So I have two keys for each game. I've thought about doing the same for NWN2, but I'm going to wait until there is a single disk box set with both expansions+original game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

I've seen a lot of people and reviewers say that, but I've always disagreed, at least regarding the bit of the OC I played, to the beginning of Chapter 2.

I've played a lot of RPG's, and the NWN OC I found to compare well to most.

While a story element turned me off in Chapter 2, it was a matter of personal taste.

I'm a minority view, but I think it's worth saying some like the OC quite well, again at least the beginning parts.

Even 'by BioWare standards', Having played a ways into Icewind Dale II, while it's fun enough, I didn't see how it is much if any better than NWN OC yet, for example.