Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition Benchmark Thread!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I think its more like "thats what happens when you dont cull out of frustum objects or reduce LOD on extremely high cost objects" like the hairworks buffalo. Theres still a massive performance penalty being paid because all the geometry in the entire benchmark is being rendered every frame.

This has been stated multiple times throughout the thread, yet people are still blaming Gameworks. How typical! :rolleyes:

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I think Gameworks is awful, but this is definitely a SE issue. I'm not really surprised. Square has lots of issues like this in their PC games. SE isn't exactly the best company when it comes to engines and implementations of features inside them. They still haven't fixed their texture shimmer issue in FFXIV. It's been there since launch and everyone complains about it because it's like gaming before AF was a thing. It's basically mandatory that you use Reshade to fix their game.

Reactions: tential

IllogicalGlory

Mar 8, 2013
This has been stated multiple times throughout the thread, yet people are still blaming Gameworks. How typical! :rolleyes:
All those problems exist in standard settings as well, but don't drag down performance disproportionately on AMD or bring 1% and 0.1% low frametimes down by 50%. The fact that they're being drawn when they shouldn't be is important, but the effects themselves make performance bad enough on their own. The lack of culling just amplifies the problem.

Reactions: Krteq

TypoFairy©

Jul 29, 2003
1700x @ stock
32GB DDR4 3200 CL 14
r9 290 @ stock
1z55csh.png

standard quality run
ebbrt2.png

Last edited:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011

Game runs perfectly fine without Gameworks
Game runs significantly worse with Gameworks

maybe i should quote myself again:
Guess thats what happens when you hack features into an already existing pipeline......

You can complain about existing implementation but if the performance difference is irreverent ( i have over 130 hours in FFXV on PS4 and i never experienced major performance problems ) then is it a problem? Only when gameworks comes along.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Game runs perfectly fine without Gameworks
Game runs significantly worse with Gameworks

Did you watch any of GN's videos? If you did, you would already have an answer to these questions. The engine currently has an issue with culling objects. This problem exists whether or not Gameworks is enabled or disabled. Gameworks just exacerbates the issue due to more objects being rendered, but it's the engine itself that is the source of the problem. This will certainly be fixed by the time the game is released.

You can complain about existing implementation but if the performance difference is irreverent ( i have over 130 hours in FFXV on PS4 and i never experienced major performance problems ) then is it a problem? Only when gameworks comes along.

The PC version isn't remotely comparable to the console version. The PC version is a full generation ahead of the console versions, and that includes the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Reactions: Muhammed

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Did you watch any of GN's videos? If you did, you would already have an answer to these questions. The engine currently has an issue with culling objects. This problem exists whether or not Gameworks is enabled or disabled. Gameworks just exacerbates the issue due to more objects being rendered, but it's the engine itself that is the source of the problem. This will certainly be fixed by the time the game is released.
[\quote]
Yes i did, your missing the point, everything has a cost ( dev time, performance etc) on normal or high without gameworks results in respectable performance for the hardware in question based on the visible IQ. Only when gameworks feature are turned on does it all go south, thus to quote myself again:

Guess thats what happens when you hack features into an already existing pipeline......

The PC version isn't remotely comparable to the console version. The PC version is a full generation ahead of the console versions, and that includes the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

A generation of what? based on what? Who decided this, you? It looks completely comparable to me, im sure 18 months of extra development time would have improved the console release as well.

But let be honest here, this is nothing but you trying to dodge and deflect, Because the stutter issues are gone on high without gameworks, stutter issues don't exsist on my PS4 pro ( cant remember what is was like on org PS4).

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Yes i did, your missing the point, everything has a cost ( dev time, performance etc) on normal or high without gameworks results in respectable performance for the hardware in question based on the visible IQ. Only when gameworks feature are turned on does it all go south, thus to quote myself again

How about we just agree that it might be prudent to wait until the game actually ships before we come to a conclusion on the Gameworks implementation in FF XV?

A generation of what? based on what? Who decided this, you? It looks completely comparable to me, im sure 18 months of extra development time would have improved the console release as well.

This is based on comments from the Game Director:

But let be honest here, this is nothing but you trying to dodge and deflect, Because the stutter issues are gone on high without gameworks, stutter issues don't exsist on my PS4 pro ( cant remember what is was like on org PS4).

If I'm trying to dodge and deflect, you are trying to cast premature aspersions on the game before it's even released. If these issues persist after the game is released, then I will agree that Gameworks is a problem and I will recommend disabling it.

Reactions: Muhammed

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
How about we just agree that it might be prudent to wait until the game actually ships before we come to a conclusion on the Gameworks implementation in FF XV?

The Benchmark is released, of course things can improve given time but there isn't a lot of time.

This is based on comments from the Game Director:

Its such a nothing statement, look at the results, if his idea of a generation is on par with Bactria then sure, but you want to talk what people consider a generation, talk DX9 to DX10 or PS3 to PS4 frostbite 1 -> 2 -> 3 etc. The end result of his generation is a few more effects and some more geometry ( outside of gameworks), i watch the demo(on high) then jump on the PS4 and im not seeing a generation jump , sure i see the benefits of 12TF but i dont see a generation change.

If I'm trying to dodge and deflect, you are trying to cast premature aspersions on the game before it's even released. If these issues persist after the game is released, then I will agree that Gameworks is a problem and I will recommend disabling it.

Im saying as it stands the implementation is the obvious problem, its probably caused because the engine was never designed with the game work features they are using with the implementation those features are using in mind. There is only a month until launch, so it remains to be seen if they can improve not just performance but the stutter as well, im sure if it was a simple fix it would already be done :) .

I dont know how much you have played with the benchmark ( i have a fair bit with my vega56) but just turning on any of the gameworks features has an impact. Turning on Tessellation/turf and then hard limiting tessellation has an impact. Just by turn on any gameworks feature my Vega runs at high clock for less power consumption for less score, that doesn't sound like a well tuned pipeline to me.[/quote]

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
I dont know how much you have played with the benchmark ( i have a fair bit with my vega56) but just turning on any of the gameworks features has an impact. Turning on Tessellation/turf and then hard limiting tessellation has an impact
GameWorks feature enhance the IQ at the cost of fps, it's not rocket science. Hair, Shadow, grass, ground, fire and particles all receive extra details, higher resolution and simulation. We've seen this in countless other games. Ultra effects always cost a lot of fps.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
GameWorks feature enhance the IQ at the cost of fps, it's not rocket science. Hair, Shadow, grass, ground, fire and particles all receive extra details, higher resolution and simulation. We've seen this in countless other games. Ultra effects always cost a lot of fps.

yep thats why my GPU runs at higher clock for less power and less performance with gameworks on.... because its working harder.........

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
WTH does 'a generation ahead of consoles' even mean? Is it that the internal engine version is newer on PC with new features/technologies? Or does the engine already support said technologies but are disabled due to hardware limitations on consoles?

Sorry, but that statement means absolutely nothing in the context of game performance.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Also from the Digital Foundry video it looks like TurfWorks does nothing but draw extra long grass with very little interactivity, while the non-GameWorks 'high' setting has better interactivity.
Start at 2:52 at 0.5x speed.

Muhammed

Jul 8, 2009
New Also from the Digital Foundry video it looks like TurfWorks does nothing but draw extra long grass with very little interactivity, while the non-GameWorks 'high' setting has better interactivity.
No need to omit all the IQ enhancements present on the video to focus on this part. Also, Turf has better interactivity in Ghost Recon Wildlands, they will likely have the same effect in the full game.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
No need to omit all the IQ enhancements present on the video to focus on this part. Also, Turf has better interactivity in Ghost Recon Wildlands, they will likely have the same effect in the full game.
I've seen it in action, for example in this video. Hardly special. Except for higher resolution and longer blades in the first two scenes, the base game just seems to have different collision values for the taller grass in the last scene. I refuse to believe Ubisoft couldn't have come up with the same thing on their own accord.

Both Steve@GN and Richard@DF verbally mention that the performance hit is not at all worth the minimal IQ differences.