Final Fantasy XI

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Anyone on here a FFXI expert? I want to get back into it badly. I tried to ask a similar question on the gamespot boards but the last time I posted about it there I got a bunch of a-hole elitist responses. I just want to know if its worth getting back into if I am not going to invest all my time in it, and if so, which server/class to try out for a beginners experience. Should those conditions be met I would like some people to play with :)

Thanks!

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
FF11 is a great game that I have played since the NA release. I was an old timer who played ultima and some EQ at launch till it became a mess. FF11 has aged rather well other than its graphics. The need for money-gil- has lessened. Square Enix has done a good job to moderate the cheating and Gold farming as its called in wow/eq circles.

Unlike most MMOrpgs-lite FF11 requires a bit more to truly enjoy. One does not have to play for 5 hours a day but 2-3 hour chunks of time are usually required to level to any great degree. The solo content is sparse but the game truly shines in its team game play. Now its biggest strenght is also its biggest weakness. Sometimes its just impossible to find people your level to go out and XP with. Now there are a few jobs that allow you to solo and they require alot more skill which is also why they are fun.

The truly amazing thing about ff11 is that it allows you to change your character at will. You can play ranger for a while, change jobs and play mage. You can play one of 3 pet jobs and switch to a warrior class and never lose any progress you have made with the different professions. Over the years I have 5 jobs capped and pimped out gear wise but there is still a TON of content and missions and quests that I have not done. Endgame seems to be getting a little better with all the different types of instanced battle arenas Square has been making.

So to answer your question its a great time to come back to FF11 if you understand that you wont have the best gear and the money to pimp out your character. What you CAN do is have alot of fun,try some of the new jobs, and get some very good quested equipment when you make some friends and start helping each other out.

I dont play as much as I used to and take months off at a time but FF11 is the only game I have not quit because of the enjoyment I received from the friendships and journeys I went on.

If you want some help getting started PM me and I can give you a hand starting out on Siren server.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
It is a fun game but like manimal said, 3 hours is about average to gain anything useful... It was painful for me up in the mid 50's and I was playing as a black mage and a white mage. But I did have a crack at other jobs and even tried to get creative with some unique team formations. If you like to do that, it is very possible but do expect some adversity towards any team line up outside the norm....

And yeah soloing does exist but I have not done any since my early levels (I have managed to solo my black mage up to about 14 before I stopped and smelled reality of the job). I also partake as a red mage, samarai, dark knight, warrior, monk, and puppetmaster (a very fun job and very fun to look at gathering tarutaru/puppetmasters together to beat things). But alas, I have taken a HUGE hiatus from it. I think I am just plain tired of any kind of grind I encounter from just about ANY MMO.

FFXI is not dead. In fact, about later this year, another expansion is set to be out for the game and along with new content so the game is always fresh and they are good about keeping real money trade in check. If you happen to be on the Pheonix server and see a cute tarutaru run about by the name Renigami, send me a hello.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Square is horrid at administrating. What kind of crap rule is it that if you haven't played in awhile, your account is gone forever? Think you can get it back... enter the information for their "Welcome Back to Van'adiel" website... "Your account is invalid... but we still have that $50 you paid for the game!" Bastards.

Blizzard > Square

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Square is horrid at administrating. What kind of crap rule is it that if you haven't played in awhile, your account is gone forever? Think you can get it back... enter the information for their "Welcome Back to Van'adiel" website... "Your account is invalid... but we still have that $50 you paid for the game!" Bastards.

Blizzard > Square

Did you try to see if your CD key reverted back to unused status so you could recreate another account with it? Loosing your character and gear sucks for sure, however, all MMO's state your not garanteed your character if you leave. Square just seems to enforce it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: hooflung
Did you try to see if your CD key reverted back to unused status so you could recreate another account with it? Loosing your character and gear sucks for sure, however, all MMO's state your not garanteed your character if you leave. Square just seems to enforce it.

Nope, I think I threw the game away actually. Also, Blizzard does state that they will not delete accounts or characters because of inactivity and have no plans to ever do it. After having that happen to me with FFXI, I was quite enthralled with their higher level of customer... umm service I guess?

FFXI itself wasn't too bad. I hated in the beginning how you couldn't ALT+TAB out of the game. Thankfully someone made windower, which let you get out. I believe Square is removing that "feature" in the next patch or they already did so recently. My experiences were a bit ruined by the fact that I had a bad connection while playing and dying in FFXI meant you lost experience :(.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
I'm curious, do they retain characters/logins after cancellation? and for how long?

I had this kick ass white mage, I think I quit when he was level 45-50 and I had completed many many difficult quests, etc and had a nice load of spells....

I believe I still have my ID's and login's but I wonder if I'll still have a character to come back to if I ever do return....

?

FFXI was hella fun, but its been a long time since i've played and I got no idea how it has evolved since.... this was back maybe 10 months after its NA release....

danny~!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: DannyLove
I'm curious, do they retain characters/logins after cancellation? and for how long?

I don't know the exact time, but I think it's 3-6 months after you cancel. If Square has their Welcome Back to Van'adiel event going on still, you can retrieve your auto-deleted characters as long as you meet certain criteria.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
I used to play ffxi a lot. It has some things that are awesome about it and some things that suck.

I love the tradeskills and fishing. I love performing renkei and combos. I hate finding teammates(#1 reason I quit), trying to communite with impatient japanese players, the leveling grind, and dying.

I liked playing white mage/ black mage and doing magic blast combos. I also liked being a ninja/thief the best.

WoW is a lot better for the casual gamer imo since the penalities for dying in ffxi is so stiff and most of the missions you need to do in order to progress past lvl 50 are extremely time consuming and annoying. Lack of being able to solo past lvl 15 is annoying as well.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I loved FFXI for a long time, but the forced grouping annoyed me after awhile, so I switched to Beastmaster (at the time it was the only soloable job). Soon SE caved to whiners and nerfed BST. After that I was done. I still miss it, though.

manimal: I was on Siren also, but it's been a few years. Main was Pickins (73BST/62BLM/50RDM/36WHM)

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Originally posted by: MrPickins
I loved FFXI for a long time, but the forced grouping annoyed me after awhile, so I switched to Beastmaster (at the time it was the only soloable job). Soon SE caved to whiners and nerfed BST. After that I was done. I still miss it, though.

manimal: I was on Siren also, but it's been a few years. Main was Pickins (73BST/62BLM/50RDM/36WHM)

Siren FTW :p

I remember seeing you around, The bst nerf was really hard on alot of peeps but the game mechanics that were changed basically fixed alot of problems in the game so most bsts that stuck with it were able to adapt, They added alot of bst fyi and made them more desirable than they were before in some ways as well. They still haven't added any good jugs tho lol.

BTW my forum name is the same name as my main character on FF11 /

MC

Civic2oo1x

Jan 29, 2002
I played FFXI from the time of the PS2 launch (bought it for the PS2, played it 3 days on the PS2, hated how crappy it looked on my projection screen, then went out and bought the PC version.)

I played for a little over a year, 14 months or so, and really enjoyed it. I had a few jobs leveled into the 20's, with a high of BLM around 70, BST around 60, and fishing skill capped at 100 along with some other skills. It soon became too much of a time sink, where I had to invest at least 3-4 hours to get something done. Leveling was a chore at the higher levels since it required finding a decent group, even with a static group it took a few weeks to level from mid 60's to the high 60's. And one death and it almost made the 3 hours I put into leveling as a negative. BST was fun as well but also since it was almost completely solo in areas that were very secluded I would rarely be able to get a raise and sometimes would have spent 3 hours leveling for a grand total of 500 exp or so.

Money wasn't a issue since I had a high fishing skill but they started to nerf the fishing craft since people were cheating so whereas a level 90+ in any other craft could make decent money, fishing would net sometimes only a profit of a 50k or so for an hour of fishing.

I do miss it at times and often considered coming back even after being away for almost 2 years. But since my character is almost surely long gone, I do not think I could invest the 60+ days of playtime back into it. Especially since I'm out of school now and have little to play at nights anyway. The biggest thing I liked about it was the community. It was fun making static friends, having a fun and exciting linkshell, and just the friendship I made. It was also fun collecting new weapons and armor and actually having an impact on the game.

I'm playing WoW right now since I wanted a MMO fix and it's fun so far (I'm only a level 18), but it's very different from FFXI. Less of a time sink in that I could log on for 30-40 minutes and still get things done, but it sure is different from FFXI. I've yet to join a party with anyone, have yet to talk to anyone (infact I don't even know how to chat yet.) So it's a much more isolated feeling to it, but still relatively enjoyable so far. Some parts I like the customization of adding skills but it seems like a pain to have to recharge and fix your equipment constantly and some of the travel in having to do quests is tedious.

I would possibly go back to FFXI if they were able to revive my character. It's not even the fact that I had a ton of gil to come back to (I gave away close to 25 million gil before I left), just I don't like the thought of having to start from scratch and achieving a Rank 10 all over again. Even conversing and playing with the Japanese people was enjoyable and entertaining. Plus with FFXI in its 5th year of existance (counting from the Japan release), you have to wonder just how much life it has left, especially since Square/Enix is developing their next MMO project as we speak.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
I started playing when it came out on PC, took a 10 month break for WoW and BF2, picked up again in sept 05 until early this year, my character was never deleted o_O.

It all depends on if you're gonna find people to play with or not, my first job was Red Mage which took about 6 months to get lvl75 with decent gear while being on my own, but once I joined a good linkshell my second time around, I was able to blitz 4 jobs to 75 and others to 37 in just 2-3 months playing just few days a week. But that's the problem with this game, to get anything done you must have/make friends that get on the same time, and few consecutive hours to spend per session, let it be leveling up or collect items - xp parties can take a while to find and monsters can take a while to spawn, unlike WoW where you can just screw around a bit, leave then come back hours later to finish it up.

Overall it's a good game and I like being a Tarutaru running around doing silly things, but having to schedule a block of time out of my day to play it just seems a bit too much.

Civic2oo1x

Jan 29, 2002
You know it's a time sink when you schedule part of your week around the game and not the other way around. Or when you log on to check something you get spammed with tells asking why you weren't around, "We could've used you in Dynamis".

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
I was at Fry's looking around, and I came across the Vanadiel Collection 2007 (which has the game and all 3 expansions) for $20. I decided to pick it up and do some sightseeing/reminiscing for a month.

Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't recommend the game to new players anymore. The newbie zones are mostly empty, and over 1/3 of the server is on a lvl 75 job at any one time. Even Valkurm Dunes is a ghost town.

Without lot's of people lfg, I'm sure parties are even harder to come by...