Final Fantasy XI Vana'diel Collection

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
Have any of you played Final Fantasy XI Vana'diel Collection? The 2008 edition is coming out in a couple of weeks and my friend and I are looking for a new game to play together. She is a big Final Fantasy fan (ps2/3 versions). I like Guild Wars and games of that nature so I don't know what were your impressions?

Here is the new one if you haven't seen it.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fa...&qid=1207223022&sr=1-5

larry89

Feb 8, 2005
Don't get it or play it... It is very dated.. but it is still beautiful game, but it seems so empty due to the time it was made, the technological limits it has severely kills the immersion.. it seems empty because the draw distance for monsters and people are very very short.

Loading people in areas takes a bit too. The game is incredibly difficult if you are starting out now due to only the higher level players existing. It's just not what it used to be. This is pay to play also. The learning curve is incredibly high also

DosadiX

Dec 13, 2005
FFXI is one of the few games I've ever played that I can keep coming back to. While it might be dated graphically its still an emersive game. There is also a steep learning curve but there is also a well established community to help you learn the ropes and get you on your way.

The story is amazing, it rewards team work (as an MMO should) and even when you think you have figure the game out, you find out there are still more layers you have yet to unravel on game mechanics.

If your looking to give it a try, send me a PM and I can shoot you and your friend a world pass and hook you up with our group once you get on.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
If you two are casual gamers.....I wouldn't look into getting into this game. If checking it out involves putting 2-3 years into the game to feel like you've "beat" it then go for it but like the others said, this game has a steep learning curve and is all about grinding.

There's some great aspects of this game that I really enjoyed and would like to see in other games, like multi-class and sub-class on a single character. This eliminates the need for any alts and repetitive gear farming. The combat system was also top-notch and complex, although a bit rigid compared to current games like WoW and LOTRO. Anyways, combat and the dynamics involved in this game still make other games look like novice easy-mode.

Graphics as others said are a bit dated, but still look excellent. FFXI scales incredibly well with higher resolutions, you just need to hack the .ini and change the hex values for your 3D background resolution. I played at 1920x1200 on my 8800GTS at the time I quit and the game still looked marvelous (its only DX8). Many who left for or tried WoW said FFXI still looks far superior. LOTRO's graphic engine is certainly much better but FFXI's art direction makes it the better looking game in many regards.

Some of the darker sides of the game involve a very heavy reliance on grouping. Everything from EXP (grinding EXP can be considered a large game aspect), to grouping to kill HNMs to gain loot, to mass grouping to get a chance to drop rare/artifact armor/gear. Not only is there a heavy reliance on grouping and competing for World spawns, the spawns are not instanced and spawn randomly at all times of day. Oh, did I mention this game is heavily international with a massive Japanese population? :D Let's just say the game mechanics lend themselves to some pretty hectic playtimes.......

Anyways, if your gf enjoys the console FF games, I'd recommend sticking to those. You can pick those up and put them down in 30-40 hours and play through them again at your leisure. FFXI isn't like them at all.....and although I've heard they've made some changes I'm not sure you want to get started on that game. Keep in mind this is probably my favorite gaming experience ever, I figured I was doing you a favor. ;)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I hated FFXI because Squaresoft's online division was heralded by a bunch of morons with absolutely no desire for customer satisfaction. Stop playing for 6 months, we delete all of your characters! I think 9 months is your account. My FFXI turned into a $50 paperweight as I couldn't even revive my account using their "Wwelcome back to Van'adiel" thing. So fuck you, Squaresoft.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Played for 2 or 3 years. Stay AWAY. Get a nice MMO like WoW. Can't even begin to start about all the problems and negatives that outweigh the positives of that horrible game and horrible division of SE.

imported_sushicide

Jun 20, 2005
If neither of you are hardcore gamers with several consequtive hours to spend per play session, don't even bother, FFXI is far from a casual game. While I'll admit its story, art style and music is superior to most other MMORPGs out there, and they've made the game easier to play over the years, but there's still so much work and time you got to invest in your characters, it may not exactly be enjoyable after a while.

Boo025

Oct 6, 2006
I know most people say FFXI has amazing story/art/music but seriously I don't remember any of it.

All I remember is wind blowing sound in most zones, exp grinding in ultra tight spots with 2-3 parties, and sitting for 2-4hr camping for HNMs.

Oh, one thing I do remember from doing the story is you need like a party or alliance to do anything and it takes god knows how long to set one up. And since most people don't bother getting map, often people get lost and die and scream 'RAISERAISERAISE' and end up spending entire day doing one thing. Also, almost always someone (or you) forget to do this one small part or bring certain item and they realize it in the end and scream 'OMFGOMFGOMFG' over and over again.

Good memories...

Edit: However, if you have at least 3-5 friends to play with and have set schedule where everyone can play and knows what they are doing, it can be pretty satisfying.

j0j081

Banned
Aug 26, 2007
well I think we are going to get it. If it turns out to be a bust it was only $30 bucks I guess.