Final Fantasy movie.. why does it have NOTHING to do with Final Fantasy?

MDesigner

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2001
I was just wondering why Final Fantasy (the movie) has absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy, the game series that it was based on. Can someone explain this? I haven't seen/read any interviews, so I don't know.. maybe it was covered in an interview.

Thanks

Aug 23, 2000
What does final fantasy 7 have in common with final fantasy 9? Nothing except for Cid. All the have to do is have a character in the movie named Cid and it is connected.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
If you haven't seen/read any reviews, how do you know it has nothing to do with the game?

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
most of the games have nothing to do with each other...

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Yea, most of the titles in the Final Fantasy series have nothing to do with each either except for a few names of people, items, weapons, etc.

vash

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2001

<< I was just wondering why Final Fantasy (the movie) has absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy, the game series that it was based on. Can someone explain this? I haven't seen/read any interviews, so I don't know.. maybe it was covered in an interview.

Thanks
>>

Its a ploy to get people that have heard of the Final Fantasy series to watch an animated movie to pay movie ticket prices. I'll watch the flick (maybe not first day, and definitely not better than matinee prices), but no rush to see it. Square has lots of those really cool SGI machines (they are the #1 customer of SGI), I'd like to see what someone can with those drool machines for an hour and a half.

vash

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Exactly! So with nothing in common what makes it a Final Fantasy movie? If it were a movie made for one of the games I could see it, but all the existing games are different, so it's not like a funky prequel or sequel or anything like that.

potatoo

Mar 12, 2001
Because none of the FF games have anything to do with each other besides having a character named Cid. As long as there's a guy in there named Cid and it's all good. And have you notice one thing, it's never &quot;FINAL&quot; when it's Final fantasy... when does it ever end?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
i believe there is a bigger link than the character Cid. if you notice, each game has a symbol to represent it behind the words &quot;final fantasy&quot;. im still trying to find the connection between them all... but i doubt that they are just linked by Cid.

MrHelpful

Banned
Apr 16, 2001
Intake - the part behind Final Fantasy 'x' is the theme. In FF8, there was Squall and Rinoa in each other's arms, because the theme was love (don't ask me, I saw it somewhere official). Same with FFIII, where there is a dragon because you have to fight the 8 dragons to get the Crusader esper and get to the end of Kefka's Tower. In FF7 there was a meteor (tell me you know this one). :)

MrHelpful

Banned
Apr 16, 2001
Oh wait. No, I don't think the games are linked at all, with the exception of Cid and some basic themes.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
MrHelpful,

you are quite helpful... but im convinced that they are linked someway or another... or i may just be stubborn... and... um, whats the meteor one for??? :) (j/k)