Filter help

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Just got my panasonic gf1 with the 20mm/1.7 and it's awesome. Can you guys recommend a good protection filter and some that I might need outdoors? I want something that are fairly good quality where they won't distort the images too much but not overly expensive. Just using for people photos and maybe some car shots when I go to the track. thanks

Last edited:

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I used to put UV filters on all my lenses. I don't anymore. There are only really rare circumstances where they'll have any impact on the image, but I find it annoying to swap them with polarizers and stuff all the time.

Feb 19, 2001
Basically, whether you like UV filters or not, filters will degrade image quality. The extent of this degradation depends on how good of a filter you buy. I'm with the camp that uses UV filters, but I will admit that I'm sacrificing image quality.

If you use a cheapo Tiffen filter, you could see some loss, but if you stick to a high end filter like B+W F-Pro or Hoya HD or Helipan's high end ones, you should be fine.

The purpose of the filter is usually to protect against scratches or to complete the weather seal of the lens (i.e. Canon's L-lenses), or to just add as a protection layer in general (like kids with greasy fingers). It's not really to protect your sensor from UV rays, although I think there is some (very little) benefit that's not really noticeable.

So yeah I'd recommend sites like: 2filter.net to find yourself a good filter. I use Hoya HD and B+W F-Pro for my lenses. I know they're a tad expensive, but if you want to go slightly cheaper Hoya HMC or Pro1s are fine. Just make sure you get multi coated filters, and the uncoated stuff = junk. Tiffen = junk.