Question files disappear after unplugging external drive

Alice1230

Nov 12, 2021
So when I write a file on the external ssd drive it appears on a drive as normally. But when I unplug the drive and plug it again there are no files I previously saved there.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If it's formatted FAT32, then you need to use the "safely remove hardware" tool to avoid that issue.

As, consider setting the device/volume in device manager to "optimize for quick removal".

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
are you sure?

try again, and this time right click on the drive icon and unmount it before disconnecting it.

also, if archiving data for long periods of time (well over a year roughly) I'd advise using a conventional (ferromagnetic) hard drive. Solid state needs to refresh itself every so often to prevent bit rot, and this requires it be powered on every so often.

Alice1230

Nov 12, 2021
are you sure?

try again, and this time right click on the drive icon and unmount it before disconnecting it.

also, if archiving data for long periods of time (well over a year roughly) I'd advise using a conventional (ferromagnetic) hard drive. Solid state needs to refresh itself every so often to prevent bit rot, and this requires it be powered on every so often.

I unmount my drive and it still happens.