File sharing between PCs with Win98SE vs. Win2K/XP

TheJTrain

Dec 3, 2001
I have a two-PC network at home, and had Win98SE on one machine, WinXP on the other. I shared folders from the Win98SE PC, made them password-protected and read-only. I could see them from the WinXP PC only with the password. I recently reformatted the Win98SE PC and installed Win2K. Now when I share folders in WinXP, I can't see a way to make them password-protected. I saw the checkbox for read-only (titled for Dummies, "Give other users ability to modify my files" - what was wrong with "Read-Only"?), so that's no problem. Anyone know how to make shared folders password-protected on WinXP?

Thanks,
Jason

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Well if you only give certain users permission to see the files you shouldnt have a problem at all right? Then only those users can see them and only when they are authenticated at their workstation (the WS should send authentication stuff over to the other machine to access the files right?). Atleast thats how I understand it. But Winders confuses me :(

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
My roomates and I did the same thing using user accounts. In their you can determine what they can and cannot do. (but I know wat oyu mean, want anyone to have access to it but only those with the rght password to modify anything)

TheJTrain

Dec 3, 2001
Actually what I wanted is only to grant even read-only access to those users who have the password. Such that people trying to dig into my PC from the ether couldn't see anything, even though I have folders shared. I'm really not sure right now if my PCs are safe from the Internet at large.

Jason

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
If you deny access to all accounts except those that need access to those folders (and make sure those accounts are password protected as well!) then that makes things considerably harder for anyone trying to get in without permission...even harder than win98 (win9x/ME security is a joke)

Woodchuck2000

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2002
First thing you want to do is go into folder options, and Disable "Simple File Sharing"
This gives you much more control over what you can and can't set in XP.

Unless both PCs are on the same domain, when trying to access a 2k share from XP or vice versa, you should get a box asking for a logon with the correct permissions. Right click on the share locally, go into properties->security, and see who's in the box. If "Everyone" is there, anyone who can get to your PC can perform the actions ticked for "everyone". I suggest you remove "everyone" from the security list, then try to access the share remotely again. With any luck, you'll then be asked for a logon. Enter the username and password of a user listed in that box, and voila. You can get in, but no-one else can.

PurpleHat

Jul 30, 2001
You need to go into permissions under the shares properties, remove the everyone group, and add any users or group you wish to have access to the share. You can also grant them whatever rights you want them to have from this screen.