Figure out why home internet data usage is so high..

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I am looking for a way to monitor how much traffic, by connected device, is being used on my home network. According to Comcast (150 Mb/sec service), my data usage in October was 850GB. I don't use Netflix or Hulu, so the only steaming would be Youtube. A don't use bittorrent that much either. Wife and 3 kids, with up to 20+ devices connected to my Netgear R7000 router. I have 5 computers running Windows 10, and 4 others running windows 7. The router has the ability to monitor traffic, but I can't see a way for it to tell me how much traffic is coming from which device. I'm worried I have a rogue connected device, as in the past I've usually been around 250GB with monthly usage - that was with Centurylink ADSL. We do use on-demand TV through Comcast, but I have no idea if that counts towards my data usage.

So is there any router firmware or device I can use (soemthing simple) that can tell me how much network traffic there is for each MAC address?

I have a SamKnows device - which tests my internet speeds and connection several times a day, but I've had that for a while and it's never been a problem or used much data.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
On demand will count towards usage. And 20+ devices will use a nice chunk on updates alone.

You check the connection log for unfamiliar Macs?

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I check for unfamiliar MACs occasionally, and have never found anything suspicous. I use OpenDNS as my router DNS and that does a pretty decent job of filtering out websites. I also use an Ooma for VOIP. I had 20+ devices connected when I still was still DSL, and usage was around 250MB per month. It seemed to go up a lot after switching to Comcast (and also switching 5 computers to Windows 10)... it would just be really nice to get a list of data usage per MAC address - I was surprised my router didn't have this built-in.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
There are Routers that keep track of the WAN Traffic (Asus comes in mind).

:cool:

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
My router is pretty good (well, it cost a lot), and does have a traffic monitor, but it's just the total traffic. I turned it on, and after about 5 hours I had downloaded a little more than 5 GB (so about 1 GB an hour). I work at home, and kids are at School, and there computers were asleep, but still lots of iPads and phones connected.

Oh - I also have a Sprint mcell phone tower connected to my internet. So I have a ton of devices connected, but none of it is new. It really seems like it's something to do with Windows 10 or Comcast...

I'll just have to experiment over the next week o so by disconnecting devices and watching the traffic flow on the router.

I looked at the Asus router, but it looks like they only offer the same thing I already have - overall traffic metering, but not per device.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Know that isp count up and downstream. So if you are remoting in, it chews bandwidth.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
It's amazing what visiting the front page on a few websites can use. I noticed that on my phone because I have to pay for minutes and data. Half a gig can be gone within minutes.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Do you have another router? Maybe set up two separate networks to track total consumption on each, and divide up your devices between the two devices. See if they approximately equal out in consumption between the two. Then reshuffle the devices and maybe you can next try putting all the win10 devices on one router, and the remaining devices on the other, etc.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Unless you configure Win10 otherwise, it will use your bandwidth to push out patches to other Win10 users on the internet.