Fight a parking ticket???

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,953
0
0
So here's the deal, I got a parking ticket for $20. I think I don't deserve the ticket...what do you guys think?

Pic
 

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
10,473
81
101
the resident parking sign is irrelevant. Anyone can park on any street.

The ticket is for parking in front of a fire hydrant or for parking within 5 feet of a driveway?

 

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,953
0
0
The ticket was not for the hydrant or the driveway...it said "parking permit", which I guess is you need a permit to park on that street.
 

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Moderator
Aug 23, 2003
25,375
142
116
Originally posted by: slag
the resident parking sign is irrelevant. Anyone can park on any street.

The ticket is for parking in front of a fire hydrant or for parking within 5 feet of a driveway?
That's a very interesting perspective. Please explain how you can invalidate street signs on demand.
 

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
3,603
0
0
Originally posted by: sciwizam
The ticket was not for the hydrant or the driveway...it said "parking permit", which I guess is you need a permit to park on that street.
And do you have said permit?
 

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
21,867
7
81
Whether or not you are in the wrong, its probably not worth your time to fight it.
 

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
10,473
81
101
A sign nailed to a tree is not a sign put there by the municipality. They would use sign posts.

I don't know though about what permit you might need. If its a real street you should be able to park anywhere you want within the law.
 

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,953
0
0
Originally posted by: Zolty
Originally posted by: sciwizam
The ticket was not for the hydrant or the driveway...it said "parking permit", which I guess is you need a permit to park on that street.
And do you have said permit?
It was a public road, so I didn't think there were any restrictions on parking.
 

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
5,695
0
0
I don't understand how it's possible to have residential neighborhoods that are "residential parking only" on public streets. Those streets are still constructed and maintained by everyone's tax dollars...so everyone should be allowed to park there. Either that, or make it so that only residents of your particular street can park on your street. Fair is fair. I don't see why I"m not allowed to park on a certain street in front of certain houses when those same people are completely free to park in front of my house as long as they want.
 

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,953
0
0
Originally posted by: slag
A sign nailed to a tree is not a sign put there by the municipality. They would use sign posts.
The sign wasn't some do-it-yourself sign put up by a random landlord, it was a legit sign nailed to the tree facing the other way from me.
 

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
5,895
0
0
$20 bucks? that's cheaper than parking here in NYC, where we get tickets for $115 for failure to obey the signs that require magnifying glasses and a lawyer to interpret the language.
"No standing 4am-9am no Stopping 8am to 5pm. All other times, except holidays, No Parking except trucks. Midnight rules in effect and alternate side parking 25 hours a day"


the other day I got a parking ticket for $2 up in White Plains municipal parking, I've never been so happy in my life paying a parking ticket.
 

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
24,510
13
81
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
I don't understand how it's possible to have residential neighborhoods that are "residential parking only" on public streets. Those streets are still constructed and maintained by everyone's tax dollars...so everyone should be allowed to park there. Either that, or make it so that only residents of your particular street can park on your street. Fair is fair. I don't see why I"m not allowed to park on a certain street in front of certain houses when those same people are completely free to park in front of my house as long as they want.
There are many, many places in cities that require a permit to park on the streets. When I was in Pittsburgh, most of the city required a permit of one form or another for street parking.

ZV
 

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
5,695
0
0
Originally posted by: EKKC
$20 bucks? that's cheaper than parking here in NYC, where we get tickets for $115 for failure to obey the signs that require magnifying glasses and a lawyer to interpret the language.
"No standing 4am-9am no Stopping 8am to 5pm. All other times, except holidays, No Parking except trucks. Midnight rules in effect and alternate side parking 25 hours a day"


the other day I got a parking ticket for $2 up in White Plains municipal parking, I've never been so happy in my life paying a parking ticket.
New York City is ridiculous. It probably has more nanny laws than most entire countries.
 

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
36,184
77
91
madgenius.com
Originally posted by: sciwizam
Originally posted by: Zolty
Originally posted by: sciwizam
The ticket was not for the hydrant or the driveway...it said "parking permit", which I guess is you need a permit to park on that street.
And do you have said permit?
It was a public road, so I didn't think there were any restrictions on parking.
In downtown Minneapolis you can get a ticket for parkiong along side of some 'communities' which require you have a permit to park on the side of the street, even if it looks public, you need a permit for that 'community' .

I never really asked more about it, as I didn't really want to move downtown Minneapolis.
 

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
5,895
0
0
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Originally posted by: EKKC
$20 bucks? that's cheaper than parking here in NYC, where we get tickets for $115 for failure to obey the signs that require magnifying glasses and a lawyer to interpret the language.
"No standing 4am-9am no Stopping 8am to 5pm. All other times, except holidays, No Parking except trucks. Midnight rules in effect and alternate side parking 25 hours a day"


the other day I got a parking ticket for $2 up in White Plains municipal parking, I've never been so happy in my life paying a parking ticket.
New York City is ridiculous. It probably has more nanny laws than most entire countries.
and that's exactly why the city of new york police department have a working force that has more people than some countries have armies

 

sciwizam

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
1,953
0
0
Google Map Pic

If you can make out the tree on Schussler Rd, the sign was nailed to that tree facing down the street. I parked my car slightly behind the white car on the same road.
 

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
20,952
3
81
88
Originally posted by: sciwizam
So here's the deal, I got a parking ticket for $20. I think I don't deserve the ticket...what do you guys think?

Pic
Fight it. Call Johnny Coch...................forget it.............
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY