Fifth graders brings knife & gun to school, planned to kill ex-gf and more

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Good thing the millions of other kids who are "bombarded" with this shit don't do the same thing!

More bad parenting than anything else.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good thing the millions of other kids who are "bombarded" with this shit don't do the same thing!

the truth is none of us know the answer, particularly without information, and blaming bad parenting is a cop-out because we have biases and don't want it to be other things.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

There are vulnerable individuals who imitate the evils of our society, who otherwise wouldn't do so if they weren't exposed to those ideas as frequently as they are.

Not saying they couldn't come up with original acts of violence, but imitation is no doubt more common. It also speaks to how we depict this violence, whether we are shown to condone or condemn it. Children pickup on how horribly we treat each other, and they proceed to follow our lead.

Yes, we should be thankful that most healthy individuals do not "do the same thing" - but if we intend to do anything about the violence in our society we should be considering policy to address the minority who are committing these crimes.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
the truth is none of us know the answer, particularly without information, and blaming bad parenting is a cop-out because we have biases and don't want it to be other things.

True. Blaming the entertainment industry and/or media is a cop-out as well, as nintendesert seemed to be saying.

It's probably more accurate to say we don't want the blame resting on us.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Don't worry guys. The ex-gf was a hot 29 year old teacher, not some dumb little girl. :)

Either way, I think kids are trying to become famous overnight any way they can. They probably know they'll be charged as minors, and gain a TON of fame after the entire ordeal is over. It's the Internet-Fame age those kids are living in.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I hope that floozy of an ex-girlfriend knows better than to fuck with a man's heart from meow on.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Don't worry guys. The ex-gf was a hot 29 year old teacher, not some dumb little girl. :)

Either way, I think kids are trying to become famous overnight any way they can. They probably know they'll be charged as minors, and gain a TON of fame after the entire ordeal is over. It's the Internet-Fame age those kids are living in.

Dammit, so what you're saying is I missed my opportunity to go on a killing spree and become immortalized by the media. Now that I'm old, I can't do it without going straight to the chair :( being an adult sucks.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Military kids it looks like. Blame senseless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for making these kids grow up deprived of proper parenting needlessly.

I'd need to look up some stats, but it seems that kids that are missing a parent because of military service in certain stages of their life just turn out generally worse than if they had both parents around or a different reason for not having one of the parents.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Dammit, so what you're saying is I missed my opportunity to go on a killing spree and become immortalized by the media. Now that I'm old, I can't do it without going straight to the chair :( being an adult sucks.

Why do you think websites like World Star Hiphop thrive? It's because the youth go out of there way to go viral, and the only way most of them will ever go viral is by violence.

I'm 100% sure if these kids didn't think they'd gain some infamy from this stunt, they wouldn't have even given a thought about going through with their actions. They were bragging about the upcoming attack beforehand, meaning they wanted people to know.

Chuck_v

Jan 21, 2013
Everyone intends to do harm at some point.

Not everyone intends to harm the innocent and that is the BIG difference between law abiding people and the criminals. I carry concealed with the intention to execute lethality upon anyone who would try to do me harm or harm upon my loved ones. My wife and I are alive today because I choose to carry concealed and used my weapon to defend us against two POS.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
True. Blaming the entertainment industry and/or media is a cop-out as well, as nintendesert seemed to be saying.

It's probably more accurate to say we don't want the blame resting on us.

Those industries don't spend hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars each year on marketing if it didn't influence people. :rolleyes:

Our media is one of our biggest cultural influences on this planet. It peddles nothing but violence and carnage. That is our culture. That's how people are taught to deal with problems.

Yes, media teaches. It teaches the population that violence is an acceptable and first choice in dealing with problems, it teaches killing someone is ok. If you don't believe our media teaches kids than why the fuck are we funding PBS and Sesame Street? :colbert:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I cannot even begin to understand how screwed up those kids heads must be.

indeed. i'm curious if they'll be tried as adults. by default they won't be, but they have clear premeditation, and they're supposed to have a hearing IIRC.

they had a complete plan. good thing someone decided to say something.