FIFA 2015 and full keyboard compatibility, Day Dream?

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I have been a FIFA gamer since 2002. I have played all the iterations of EA. Loved most of them, hated a few, whatever all of them were playable with keyboard, by playable I mean completely playable. But since the arrival of FIFA 2011 everything went disastrous, if I am not wrong that was the first game which brought that bloody controller thing to take effect at best.

Anyway, the thing is I will never play with a controller, I won't touch one. So the thing is, is there any way to play FIFA 15 with keyboard? I mean not just running around and taking one or two shot at goal, but with all the effects?

I have tried all the version by the way, FIFA 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 too, but always uninstalled them within a day or two. The main problem I have is the sprint. I mean I don't know if you guys have noticed or not, but there's new super sprint type of option which is merged with the Numpad section of keyboard, you know, I am talking about that 4, 8, 6 and 2 keys, if you press them along with arrow keys, then the players run fast, super fast. But the problem is I only have two hands, and there is literally no way for me to use the numpad section while my left hand is already on W/A/S/D section and right hand is busy with arrow keys for players' movement. The biggest drawback of this is, I can never run fast and the defenders would always catch and I can never catch opponent team's attacker with my defenders, because they simply could not catch up in speed. This is the reason why I can't play these new FIFA games, it's absolutely impossible for me. Ridiculous!

So if there is an avid FIFA gamer here, who plays with keyboard, could kindly tell me if there is any possible way to alter the controls somehow to make it like FIFA 10 or prior iterations?

I know this topic might seem crazy to some, especially to the kinds who use a controller, but as I said, I hate controllers, so there's that, and also FIFA is a franchise which I really love, because football is my second favourite sport and I know how much time I have spent with FIFA series. I can't simply express how much sad I was when I saw the FIFA 11 came out like that. Till then that game is dead to me, but I am creating this topic in case I don't know about something but you guys do.

Thanks in advance.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I tried playing NBA2k on my laptop w/ the laptop's keyboard and gave up within an hour. It's possible to play with your keyboard, but sports games are to be played with a gamepad.

I even tried downloading a gamepad app for android/pc. I was using my Nexus 5 as a virtual gamepad. The game actually recognized the app which I was surprised, but it didn't work well so I gave up.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I have been playing Fifa since it's launch around 20 years ago and I cannot fathom anyone playing with a keyboard and remaining competitive.
This post baffles me.

carling220

Dec 16, 2011
Get a 360 controller for windows from amazon, cheap, work very well. Why on earth would you want to use a keyboard? It's like using a horse and cart to commute with.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
This is a joke thread ... right?
Why on earth? :thumbsdown:
I have been playing Fifa since it's launch around 20 years ago and I cannot fathom anyone playing with a keyboard and remaining competitive.
This post baffles me.
Well, what can I say! The controller thing baffles me :D
Get a 360 controller for windows from amazon, cheap, work very well. Why on earth would you want to use a keyboard? It's like using a horse and cart to commute with.
Because I like to play via Keyboard, not some stuffs which feels like going back in age! I have tried a controller already, for pretty long too, there is no way I can touch that thing.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Why on earth? :thumbsdown:

Why? Let's see, you have tried by my count five consecutive versions and have not been happy with them. It sucks that you can't control it like the older versions, but after five years of frustration I guarantee you could have become quite proficient at controlling the game the way the developers intended ... with a gamepad.

I understand your frustration. I refused to use a controller for years. I hated it. I was clumsy with it. Finally I realized I could stop playing half the modern games out there or learn how to use a controller. I chose the later and came to actually enjoy it. The fact is, especially with sports games, cross platform titles are developed with controllers in mind. More and more PC controls are simply sloppy add-ons that get little to no support. It sounds like FIFA is no different.

I'll give you props though. Being able to play a game like FIFA with a keyboard takes some kind of skill I don't possess!

Last edited:

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Well I don't know mate! It's my extreme hatred towards Controller and an immense love for keyboard/mouse combo. I mean I will die if right now someone takes away these two things from me.

Was I good player? LOL no. But I played so many matches with FIFA10 (over a thousand easily) that maybe I got half decent with it. At later stage I actually didn't lose s game at all! It was a pleasure to play with all those keys, and controlling a player with the arrow keys was so easy and fast!

However I see that EA will never come back on that path, as they have clearly focused on the Controller thing and they have kept it for five iterations, so I guess I'll have to end up buying one of those damn things!

Which is the cheapest decent one out there? I mean no unbranded ones, those Sony/MS, whatever there are.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Why would you have an extreme hatred for controllers? They are useful in situations. Why would you not use the best tool for the situation? In this situation, a controller is the best option.

Your best bet is to buy an Xbox360 controller. It should be cheap, as it is close to EOL and works natively in DX games.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
Why would you have an extreme hatred for controllers? They are useful in situations. Why would you not use the best tool for the situation? In this situation, a controller is the best option.

Your best bet is to buy an Xbox360 controller. It should be cheap, as it is close to EOL and works natively in DX games.

+1..

I suggest the wired version but wireless is fine if you prefer that.
You should be able to pick up a wired one for around $25.

Edit... this one on Amazon is on sale as usually they are around $35 (afaik)

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWLA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421824279&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+360+controller

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

Agree on the X360 controller. I use the wired one and have no complaints.

As far as hating controllers, for me I just never could get comfortable with them. I sort of grew up in between gaming generations. I was just a little too old to get caught up in the console boom. My gaming as a kid consisted of a joystick with one button. Once I got back into gaming, it was on a PC with joystick, keyboard and mouse. By the time I got around to trying a controller again, they had become so complicated I just always felt lost trying to use one.

I have learned to embrace the controller in recent times however, starting with simple games like Super Meat Boy and Spelunky and moving onto more complex games like Dragon Age: Inquisition. I actually sort of like using one now. It just takes a little more time for some of us (old guys) to come to grips with a controller (pun intended).

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Because I don't like them :D Find them childish, and no freedom as I find with keyboard and mouse.
Thanks for mentioning that. Will get a 360 Wired controller.

That Amazon link is of no use to me, I am not residing in US! However its not pricey here either.

PS: Damn some are even lower than that price! Hmm, need to check authenticity now.