Fiddlers...

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
We want to get my sister an electric violin for her birthday but we're not really sure what's up with electric violins. I know even a decent violin already costs over a grand and we only want to put about $300 into it. My sister has been playing for like three, maybe four years so she really isn't that good yet but she likes to play. She doesn't need a really good violin, just something that will work and that won't fall apart (even if it sounds bad none of us can tell :p).

Thanks guys.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Yea, a quality electric violin is extremely expensive ... $2500+ expensive.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Safeway

Is ebay my best bet then? Just try to get the cheapest thing I can find on the bay?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Mrvile
Originally posted by: Safeway

Is ebay my best bet then? Just try to get the cheapest thing I can find on the bay?

Well, you really get what you pay for (unless it is an antique, then you pay millions for the dust). eBay or Craigslist are your best bets for used violins. I would say to start out very cheap, since your sister might not even like the way an electric plays. My girlfriend performed for 14 or 15 years.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I see a lot of really cheap looking violins on ebay for like $100...they look mass produced and a lot of people are selling the same kind. Should I avoid these?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Mrvile
I see a lot of really cheap looking violins on ebay for like $100...they look mass produced and a lot of people are selling the same kind. Should I avoid these?

... like the plague.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Well I was able to snipe a Fender FV-1 from fleabay for $325 shipped which is a pretty good deal compared to $500 new. Anyway I'm a little better at violin than my sister (I've been playing for a bit longer) so I'll see how it is when we receive it. If it sounds good to me it'll be fine for her. She is still away visiting our dad so we're hoping to surprise her.

Thanks for the help guys.