FIC PA-2013 video card question

KentuckyFisherman

Sep 27, 2002
I know it's an older board, but I've got it running an AMD K6-III+/450 overclocked to 550 and it does most of what I want it to do. When I built the system (with a K6-II/350) FIC discouraged video cards with more than 16mb of memory, so I installed an STB Velocity 4400 (Riva TNT).

Obviously there are lot of games out there I can't run with a 16mb video card. I've just gone back and studied things, and it appears that with the latest bios, which I'm running, this 16mb video card limit may not be correct. Also FYI, the board has a 1X/2X AGP slot, which is where my card is installed.

Have any of you actually run a video card greater than 16mb with this particular board? There are still plenty of 32, 64 and 128mb boards available, so what would you advise?

Thanks for any and all help!

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
FIC's FAQ on the board says that generally they dont recommend using cards with more than 16MB of RAM. I can think of only 2 reasons they do this. 1) That they have issues in the BIOS with the AGP texture memory mapping (in which case it should be BIOS/software fixable) or with the chipset itself having problems with AGP texturing (in which case a BIOS/software fix might be possible). 2) This recommendation was made as at the time where the faster the cards went, the more juice they sucked and although this is still true, value alternative cards like the GF2 MX were still fast and not power hungry, so they may have just been warning people there could be problems.

An easy option would be to try and get hold of a card (ie. get a cheap one or borrow one off of a friend) with more than 16MB of memory on and see if it works.

KentuckyFisherman

Sep 27, 2002
Thanks for the input, Vss. I have a feeling your #2 suggestion is the right one, as I saw something else in an FIC FAQ that mentioned the PA-2013's ability (or inability) to handle vid cards that had a really high power draw.