Fiber Optic or Coaxial?

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I'm hooking up my home theater system. My DVD player offers both coaxial and optical for digital output. Which one provides better sound quality? Are there any sites that provide this kind of information? Thanks

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
With digital, it either works or it doesn't.
Both will provide identical sound quality, don't let the Best Buy weasels tell you different.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i would think they're of equal quality, but over on, i think the home theater forums, they've had debates on which is better.

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dakata24
i would think they're of equal quality, but over on, i think the home theater forums, they've had debates on which is better.

Do you have the URL of the forum? Thanks

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sweet jeebus...just get the cheapest you can find. There's no friggin difference

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Supposedly fiber optic is cleaner since coax like any other metal wire can pick up interference. *Shrug* I originally had a coax connection from my DVD player to my Denon receiver, but then I switched to a fiber optic connection so I could use the coax cable with my mp3/DivX computer that had an Aureal soundcard with a coax out. Sounds the same to me... just pick the cheaper cable of the 2.

Jan 9, 2002
I use coax on mine, but only because that's the only way to hook my current computer setup up to the reciever. I prefer fiber optic just because of it's coolness and bragging rights to friends, but from my experience, I can't tell a difference. Good coaxial cables are also thicker and look cooler. :D

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Bah. Wont really matter. I use coaxial for me reciever and a friend uses optical. It really wont make much difference for the common person unless you are a hardcore audiophile.