Question Fiber Modem - Router - Switch Configuration

TWGF1572

Nov 30, 2012
Today is an exciting day - I got my fiber internet connected! I'm moving from 30mb on a good day (no joke) to 500mb. The fiber is coming into a different part of my house than my old internet, so some configuration changes are needed. I am not a networking guy - installing Merlin on my old ASUS router was as wild as I have gotten, so I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Pre Fiber Setup: Dish > Google Nest Router > Unmanaged Switch
  1. I had line of sight internet (dish on roof). My basement is a rectangle and is partially finished. The cable from the dish came into the unfinished corner of my basement. I plugged an ethernet cable into the dish cable power injector. No modem needed.
  2. Google Nest router. Also located in the unfinished area of the basement
  3. Unmanaged Switch - located in the far opposite corner of the rectangle, in the finished part of the basement in a metal networking cabinet in the wall. I ran a 5e cable through the basement ceiling to get there. The house ethernet runs through this cabinet. All our WFH computers are hooked up to ethernet, because the stability is much better. The TV's are also connected to this ethernet.
New Setup: Fiber Modem > ???

The fiber comes directly into the networking cabinet now. Charter Spectrum is our provider. They have a modem in it that has a Sonivus (Soniv15?) label. I would prefer not to put my Google Nest into the metal cabinet, as I'm concerned about signal degradation. Which leads to my question.....and two options I've considered. Maybe there are more?
  • Modem > Wired Router (would need to purchase) > Google Nest & Switch This will create an issue with the Nest sitting behind the router. I've read some info that says switching the Nest to bridge mode may work, but I'm not sure. Or maybe I'd have to go with some sort of access points? Which could be $$, in addition to buying a wired router.
  • Modem > Nest > Switch I have it set up like this today just to keep things working. I just have ethernet cables hanging out of my network cabinet so the Nest can sit outside. If I go this way permanently, I'd probably just hardwire an ethernet wall plate in with two ports. One from the modem, the other going back to the switch. If I change routers, it would be simple plug and play.
I'm leaning to the second solution with the wall plate, but am curious what you guys think. I'm sure there are solutions I've not considered as well. I'm not opposed to spending a reasonable amount to get the setup right. Even if the involves replacing my current Nest router.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Nest router? You mean an Eero setup?

Anyway... 5000mbps is a good increase but, it depends on what all you're trying to use with it. If you're doing any router based VPN for whole network protection you'll want something beefier than any off the shelf router. Keeping it simple though you could just use a PI as your tourer between the ISP / WIFI and go from there.

ISP <> PI <> Switch <> WIFI

Purring a little money into your setup now will save you more later. Using the PI though would let you put it inside the cabinet to keep the wiring clean. If you want to run the Ethernet from the cabinet to another location and then hook up the switch there that's an option you can do as well.

For the wifi depending on the size of the house it would be easier to get an actual AP that covers the area better than any "pod" like device. For $150 you can get a 802.11AX AP that covers 1500sq ft easily unless your walls are made of steel or brick. Then again I have sheet metal studs and have no issues with signal hitting corner to corner and I'm able to keep max speeds throughout.

TWGF1572

Nov 30, 2012
Nest router? You mean an Eero setup?

I'm referring to Google Nest Wifi. Definitly not the Eero setup, but similar. I have a 2,400 square foot house with two stories so I have the pucks on each floor.

I am not doing any sort of router based VPN for network protection. I am not that far along skill wise. Up to this point my networking plan has been to buy a decently reviewed router and go from there. That's typically been an ASUS, but I decided to try the Nest when COVID and work from home hit.

The installer mentioned a PI router as a choice too. I've not really looked into them. But it seems like a good option. I'll dig deeper into those.

Do you recommend a specific AP? I see there are quite a few choices. I do not have a POE switch now , but I could get one if needed.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I use a nwa210ax and it does have low as an option but also comes with an ac adaptor.

You can mount it properly or I just have it laying on a shelf. I'm not sure how it would handle this stories but, at $150 they're a good place to start.