Fiber= fiber? (Whole grain bread instead of veggies/salad?)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Costco whole grain bread is cheap and lots of fiber.
1 slice = 5grams fiber = 20% daily allowance

Much cheaper than frozen veggies or salad in a bag/salad dressing.

So fiber= fiber?
No more need for veggies/salad?

edit:
still eating fruits (bananas)

Last edited:

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
1. The bread has mostly soluble fiber, not insoluble like vegetables and fruits.
2. The bread has way more calories than vegetables or fruits, probably. You will gain weight.
3. Fruits and vegetables have more vitamins etc.

In fact. You shouldn't eat bread at all.
Remove just bread and dairy from your life and watch your health improve.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1. The bread has mostly soluble fiber, not insoluble like vegetables and fruits.
2. The bread has way more calories than vegetables or fruits, probably. You will gain weight.
3. Fruits and vegetables have more vitamins etc.

In fact. You shouldn't eat bread at all.
Remove just bread and dairy from your life and watch your health improve.
Why is insoluble fiber better?

and I still eat bananas daily.

edit:
wait.. this site says whole grain bread is insoluable fiber?
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
A good diet should include high quality carbohydrates, of which you should mix between complex and simple carbohydrates. Most people would agree that of complex carbohydrates there are more benefits to deriving the majority of it from vegetables, but by no means are breads and other things like beans, rice, etc bad for you when consumed in moderation

Comparing the fiber density of a vegetable against bread is stupid though.

100g broccoli
7g Carbs
2.6g Fiber
37% fiber

1 slice whole wheat bread (28g)
12g carb
1.9g fiber
15% fiber

Last edited:

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
A good diet should include high quality carbohydrates, of which you should mix between complex and simple carbohydrates. Most people would agree that of complex carbohydrates there are more benefits to deriving the majority of it from vegetables, but by no means are breads and other things like beans, rice, etc bad for you when consumed in moderation

100g broccoli
7g Carbs
2.6g Fiber
37% fiber

100g whole wheat bread
12g carb
1.9g fiber
15% fiber

Also 39 calories vs 260 calories. You also have more inflammation to deal with when it comes to refined flour.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
I'm not a nutritionist so I can't know if I'm right about what I think.
But, I cut white flour/sugar and dairy out of my diet. Just those things. I ate other starches and everything I wanted, just nothing with white flour/sugar or dairy. All the sudden I lost a bunch of weight and all sorts of inflammations I have were reduced or eliminated.
So I don't know why. (i kinda do but..) But not eating, sugar flour or dairy, for me, seems to make me feel much better in general.
I assume its why many asians are thin and healthy. Their diets don't include much of those foods.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Also 39 calories vs 260 calories. You also have more inflammation to deal with when it comes to refined flour.
You're right - I mistakenly put the nutrition for one slice of bread, rather than 100g. I fixed it. But yes, in terms of pure volume, 100g of broccoli vs 100g of bread is a huge caloric difference.

100g bread:
13g Protein
3.4g Fat
41g Carb
7g Fiber
247kCal total

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

100g broccoli
7g Carbs
2.6g Fiber
37% fiber

1 slice whole wheat bread (28g)
12g carb
1.9g fiber
15% fiber
well my Costco whole wheat bread says for 1 slice (based on 2000 calorie):
5g fiber
20%

someone is wrong about usda %.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
well my Costco whole wheat bread says for 1 slice (based on 2000 calorie):
5g fiber
20%

someone is wrong about usda %.
My percentage is not percentage of USDA recommended, it is a percentage of carbs provided by fiber vs something else. How many total carbs in your slice vs fiber?