Fiat announces Jeep production may move to China

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/jeep-china_n_2472312.html

So much for bailing out US automakers to keep jobs here...what about that coveted middle and working class?

Added a more recent link....

And for those who read this and think "wow, this is only talking about regional production and not moving all ops to China" all I can say is I have a bridge for sale, PM me if interested....I can't even keep track of all the companies which said much the same who are now fully producing in china with only a small manufacturing op here in the US to satisfy govt contracts.

Not to mention parts manufacturing and other areas that could be "sourced" will be interesting to see what happens but won't be suprised if they do take advantage of this.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Oh dear, this changes the story from before the election a bit with this Jeep production discussion.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This thread can't be serious? LOL.

This burnt Romney's ass and it will burn the OP just as much (article is from Oct. 2012). Jeep isn't sending jobs out and not closing anything here, it's ramping up production here. It is simply looking to do what Toyota, Kia, Hynudai, Nissan and others are doing...and that's increasing production in areas that are growing in demand. OP fail at offshoring jobs.

Here is the CEO's response that kicked Romney (and now OP) in the nuts: http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2012/10/30/chrysler_ceo_sergio_marchionne_responds_to.htm

Chrysler Group's production plans for the Jeep brand have become the focus of public debate.

I feel obliged to unambiguously restate our position: Jeep production will not be moved from the United States to China.

North American production is critical to achieving our goal of selling 800,000 Jeep vehicles by 2014. In fact, U.S. production of our Jeep models has nearly tripled (it is expected to be up 185%) since 2009 in order to keep up with global demand.

We also are investing to improve and expand our entire U.S. operations, including our Jeep facilities. The numbers tell the story:

-- We will invest more than $1.7 billion to develop and produce the next generation Jeep SUV, the successor of the Jeep Liberty -- including $500 million directly to tool and expand our Toledo Assembly Complex and will be adding about 1,100 jobs on a second shift by 2013.

Last edited:

BigBarney

May 27, 2012
wait, a company is moving production for cars that will be sold in a different country, to THAT country?

SHOCKED i tell you, SHOCKED

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

If you read the article, the head of Jeep says he wants to localize Jeep production in China. Instead of importing Jeeps from America and paying exorbitant Chinese import tariffs, they want to build them locally.

This has nothing to do with shifting total production to China - this is the same argument that came up in the election. The only difference is...instead of building one model there...it makes financial sense to build all Chinese market Jeeps in China.

You're not understanding that they will continue to build US models.....in the motherfucking US of A.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If you read the article, the head of Jeep says he wants to localize Jeep production in China. Instead of importing Jeeps from America and paying exorbitant Chinese import tariffs, they want to build them locally.

This has nothing to do with shifting total production to China - this is the same argument that came up in the election. The only difference is...instead of building one model there...it makes financial sense to build all Chinese market Jeeps in China.

You're not understanding that they will continue to build US models.....in the motherfucking US of A.

He didn't read the whole article he just read parts that agreed with his P.O.V. and posted

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
All+your+base+are+belong+to+us+wallpaper.jpg

All Your Manufacturing Are Belong To Us

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

Don't worry America, I hear China doesn't want your celebrity fools along with your demigod sport stars,

that you pay more attention to than your elected representatives,

who will eventually confiscate all your guns while passing more free trade bills to send your jobs overseas at the behest of their corporate masters while taxing you more to make up for it.

And all you fools will still think a Jeep is made in America when eventually most of it will be just assembled here with many components that say made in China.:rolleyes:

The cowardly bought and paid for UAW which at one time would go on strike if a non-union spark plug ended up in an American vehicle has been effectively neutered by its corporatist Democrat puppet masters.

but hey keep living in denial America while working at your Walmart/McDonald service job that barely pays the monthly payment on that new Jeep.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Hopefully, but a lot of outsourcing started that way. On the other hand, we're now seeing some manufacturing come back to America as companies learn the hard way that they aren't so much saving money as training their replacements.

If our politicians had gonads they would insist that all trade agreements have matching tariffs and restrictions. That way a lot of outsourcing would never have happened.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003

yes it does stupid liberal.

Instead of the jeep being made in the USA and imported into China, creating jobs in the USA, it will now be made in china.

Every jeep made in china is one not making jobs here.

Not surprised liberals would lie.... again.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Just to be fair to the OP, this story has indeed come up again in the news. I think it's a little bit clearer that some production will probably be shifted out of the US for some models.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...eeps-China?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the automaker plans to build some Jeeps in China for the local market — and later, in Russia.

"As part of our global expansion of the Jeep brand, there are some cars — that because of the price position in the market — can never be made in the U.S. and exported," Marchionne told reporters on the sidelines of the North American International Auto Show. "We're going to be announcing the first step in the globalization of Jeep (in China). There's another one that's going to come in Russia. These things are part of a natural process of expansion."

Marchionne said he will keep "the pillar cars of the Jeep (brand) in the United States. Wrangler is one. The Grand Cherokee is another. These are things that need to be protected because they represent the best and the essence of Jeep. If you tell me I cannot make a Patriot somewhere else, I might as well go out of the market."

Marchionne came under harsh criticism from Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who falsely suggested that Chrysler would shift production from Ohio to China of the Jeep brand. The Romney ad on the issue was branded the "lie of the year" by fact checker "Politifact."

Marchionne rejected Romney's assertion in a letter to employees last fall. "I set the record straight to our people," he said. "We live in a world where we tell each other the truth and I think the stuff that was coming out was improperly phrased — it certainly was not reflective of the position of Chrysler."

Separately, Marchionne said no initial public offering could occur before nine months.

"Even I execute flawlessly… At the earliest, it's the fourth quarter," Marchionne said, noting that Chrysler needs to convert to a Chapter C Corporation first. "We will see what the markets say about an IPO."

He said he understands the United Auto Workers health care trust fund wants to swap more stock for cash.

"They need to see their position monetized," Marchionne said. "We'll try to get them a way there. If they want to do it through an IPO, we'll do it through the IPO."

Marchionne said he believes U.S. vehicle sales will be strong in 2013, totaling at least 15 million.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just to be fair to the OP, this story has indeed come up again in the news. I think it's a little bit clearer that some production will probably be shifted out of the US for some models.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...eeps-China?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Maybe I missed it but where does that article state that they are shifting production out of the US? The article that I posted from October states that they are spending money and increasing production here despite joining a partnership and starting production there? I see nothing but increasing production in both countries so if anyone can point out where they are shutting down and laying anyone off, please do so.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Maybe I missed it but where does that article state that they are shifting production out of the US? The article that I posted from October states that they are spending money and increasing production here despite joining a partnership and starting production there? I see nothing but increasing production in both countries so if anyone can point out where they are shutting down and laying anyone off, please do so.

Sorry for the old link, thought it was current as the issue just came up in the news...here is huffpo for all the libs who trust nothing but....

As for moving all production, you honestly think the company is going to flat out say that now? the fact is it is a slippery slope....they start moving some models, then some models become more, until they move everything but that which they have to (to stay compliant with govt contracts) overseas....

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry for the old link, thought it was current as the issue just came up in the news...here is huffpo for all the libs who trust nothing but....

As for moving all production, you honestly think the company is going to flat out say that now? the fact is it is a slippery slope....they start moving some models, then some models become more, until they move everything but that which they have to (to stay compliant with govt contracts) overseas....

So you saying that we are moving production overseas, in direct contradiction of what the CEO has stated and shown as far as hiring more people, spending more money and increasing production here, because of some "slippery slope" theory? This is not new...all other automotive companies open a manufacturing presence in the countries that they serve. In China's case, it may be the only way to get a foot in the door. At no point have any of those that have expanded presences there manufactured the cars and imported them to the US, much less laying off people in the US and downsizing operations because of.

OP still fail.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

Where did I say that it says that?

He's probably going to build Patriots and their cousins elsewhere.

He says he can't be building them here and exporting them.

He says if you tell him he can't build them elsewhere, then he might as well not build them.

I don't know how much clearer Marchionne can be that exporting for some models needs to end and production needs to begin overseas.

Interpret it any way you wish, but time will tell.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Where did I say that it says that?

For your reading pleasure. If I misunderstood what you posted, sorry but it looks to me like you're reading into this that we are shifting production out of the US for this Chinese venture. I just don't see it. Everything that he has said and done indicates that he is INCREASING production in both places.